You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-10 03:33:46

tony5429

[SOLVED] How do I link my Domain Name to my Linux Box?

Okay... so I have already registered a domain name at godaddy. I also have already set up an Arch LAMP server which is remotely accessible on a public static IP. So the big question is how do I make the domain name point to my IP address? I've been looking around online and it seems I need a nameserver to connect the two... I also see in Godaddy that I can choose up to 4 nameservers for my domain name. So what I can't figure out is, do I need to do some sort of registration with a website like http://opendns.com or run some DNS app/daemon on my server itself? Any help is greatly appreciated and I apologise, I am very lost with this particular topic. Thanks!!

Last edited by tony5429 (2010-01-10 05:23:20)

#2 2010-01-10 04:42:29

brucebertrand

Re: [SOLVED] How do I link my Domain Name to my Linux Box?

First, I don't use Go Daddy anymore, so I don't know if their DNS offereings have changed (they shouldn't have...these are pretty standard things)

You'll want to chose I host my domains with another provider.

Does your home connection have a static or dynamic IP address?
If you have a static IP - which you might be able to get from your ISP (probably for a monthly fee) - you should just set the A record for your domain to point to your IP.

If you have a dynamic, you should set up a domain name with a dynamic DNS service, and then make a CNAME for your domain pointing to the dynamic DNS domain.

I've used http://www.dyndns.com/ for a similar setup for several years now with no problems.

Also, you can run ddclient ora simple bash script as a cron job to update your ip when it changes every so often.  Also, chances are good that your home router supports updating dyndns, in which case, you won't need to run anything on the Arch box.

Last edited by brucebertrand (2010-01-10 04:46:45)

#3 2010-01-10 04:50:48

tony5429

Thanks for the info! My connection is a "sticky ip" so it could possibly change but I've never seen it change in all the time I've used it. However, if it is not hard to set up the link with dyndns.com, I'll go for it. That is fantastic that it is free too! Thanks for your help; I'll give dynedns.com a shot.

#4 2010-01-10 05:22:55

tony5429

Actually I figured out how to do it through GoDaddy; but thanks anyway!!

Board footer