You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-10 09:32:57

ScottArch

[Solved] Nepomuk/Strigi, networkmanager and startx - DBUS Issue

Hi folks,

After a reboot, Nepomuk is not started in the system tray and when I go to system settings -> advanced -> desktop search Nepomuk is enabled but Strigi is not stating, "Strigi service is not running". I wish to have both running in the system tray at startup. The documentation seems to suggest that any issue with this is probably related to DBUS. Any ideas?

I really want to give this service a proper go after my move to KDE 4.4 (from Gnome) and would appreciate any help you can offer.

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited by ScottArch (2010-02-14 12:28:52)

Acer Aspire 5920G - 2Ghz Core 2 Duo T7300 - 256mb Nvidia 8600GS - 4GB RAM

#2 2010-02-10 12:57:40

elric

Re: [Solved] Nepomuk/Strigi, networkmanager and startx - DBUS Issue

Since the backend for nepomuk has changed, I first deleted the nepomuk folder and
all strigi config files, to start "clean". Mind that it seems that Nepomuk regenerates the
db on every soprano update (happened to me just now, though I had it working finely).
After deleting, run "/etc/rc.d/kdm restart", which is not just the same than logging in and out
(read that somewhere).

Usually, kde remembers the last strigi/nepomuk settings you had, so if you leave, it will
be on at startup (as with me).

You can also try with "nepomukservicestub nepomukstorage" and then "nepomukservicestub nepomukstrigiservice".

There is also the problem with open-jdk symlink (which I don't know it it got fixed). You need to create a link /usr/lib/jvm.so,
pointing at the real jvm.so location.

Since you don't say what is really wrong, I can't help you more. However, the things mentioned works for me.

Anyway, it did take me a few tries to get it working after the update, and it seems to suspend on its own sad. Good luck!

Last edited by elric (2010-02-10 13:05:22)

#3 2010-02-10 23:25:32

ScottArch

Hi there,

I have updated the title because I believe it may be a little deeper than a simple Nepomuk/Strigi issue.

Ok, so I reboot and the X Server tries to start, but does not even get to the stage where it displays the cursor before it drops back down to the command line login. If I log in and type startx it load the X Server fine. When I get to my desktop, neither Nepomuk/Strigi or knetworkmanager start automatically and when I try to start Knetworkmanager from the menu I get,

"KNetworkManager cannot start because the installation is misconfigured. System DBUS policy does not allow it to provide user settings; contact your system administrator or distribution. KNetworkManager will not start automatically in future."

I am unsure of the command to manually start Nepomuk or Strigi from the command line, but in the menu it says Nepomuk is running and that the Strigi service is not running.

As far as I know I have done nothing to DBUS to cause it to misbehave, but it seems that this is the issue. Ha anyone come across something similar?

Cheers,

Scott

#4 2010-02-11 01:46:10

elric

Did you follow the instructions at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE
on install?

It has some notes on kde, dbus etc... I got 4.3 installed with no problems,
and so is my ugraded 4.4.  Maybe something in the daemons is preventing kdm
from starting?

It seems Knetworkmanager isn't that great anyway. i've had my share of problems,
with NetworkManager on different distros (and cursed it for long) Your problem does
ring a bell, but I usually just remove it, and it can get worse with KNetworkManager.
netcfgGUI works great. wifi-select is not fancy, but provides a simple and
nice terminal interface. there is also wicd...

#5 2010-02-11 08:02:15

ScottArch

Hi there,

I followed the KDE instructions and did have everything working fine for over a week before this issue started. I know loads of people have problems with networkmanager, but I have never really had issues, although this is mostly on Gnome. In noticed today when I actually watched my laptop shut down that there are a series of KDE related warnings once the shutdown procedure exits the X Server, some of which mention dbus (I really cant remember what they are because they they flash past). This further suggests that I have a deeper dbus issue that underlies everything. That said, one step at a time, so I may follow your alternative  network manager solutions in the sort term, as this will make the laptop more usable while I am fixing the dbus issue

I noticed on reviewing the the KDE wiki that one user chose to have (dbus hal syslog-ng...) wheras I have (syslog-ng dbus hal...), worth a go. I'll post now, reboot and edit this when I am at work if I have success.

Scott

UPDATE: Still no fix to the problem however, when I try and start knetworkmanager from the command line I get the warning:

"knetworkmanager(11675)/Network Management (NetworkManager backend) NMDBusSettingsService::NMDBusSettingsService: Unable to register service QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied", "Connection ":1.28" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings" due to security policies in the configuration file")"

and when I run knetworkmanager as root, it starts fine. I have searched for these warnings and have not found anything that immidiately makes sense. If anyone is familiar with this issue and can offer a fix, that would be cool.

Last edited by ScottArch (2010-02-11 08:11:48)

#6 2010-02-11 10:12:34

jeroenh

Scott,

I had the same problem you had. I "solved" it by editing /etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager-kde4.conf

More specifically, I copied the section with user="root" and changed that to user="myuser". This is quite a hack of course. I suspect the real issue has something to do with ConsoleKit, since that's what KNM is supposed to use.

#7 2010-02-11 11:14:24

ScottArch

Hi jeroenh,

Thats cool. I can get some semblance of a normal desktop back! Can i apply this to my Nepomuk/Stringi and (possible) Xorg issue too ? If so, any ideas how? I might be able to work out how to apply this to other services that depend on dbus/consolkit if I could have a look under the bonnet of my own computer. I will check tonight, but if someone knows in the meantime, chime in.

Cheers man

Last edited by ScottArch (2010-02-11 11:16:47)

#8 2010-02-11 22:39:50

ScottArch

I am starting to think that it may be a Consolkit issue. When I look at power management in system settings I get a warning that there are issues with my configuration and under the capabilities tab under status it sates that "consolkit was not found on my machine, or Powerdevil cannot contact it". Ity is my understanding that many of the warnings related to dbus could be related to consolekit. Does anyone have any ideas?

#9 2010-02-14 09:01:17

phzi

With regards to KNetworkManager displaying, ""KNetworkManager cannot start because the installation is misconfigured. System DBUS policy does not allow it to provide user settings; contact your system administrator or distribution. KNetworkManager will not start automatically in future.":

Make sure your user is in the PlugDev group, as the /etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager-kde4.conf has permissions for Root and PlugDev members.

#10 2010-02-14 12:23:23

ScottArch

Hi folks,

Thanks for your help folks! I finally managed to fix it and the solution was not what I expected. I was experimenting with the daemons array and disabled the preload daemon ... and this solved all three issues! No matter where it is in the array, or whether is is prefixed with a @, the issue sreturn. I can only assume that it was causing something to be loaded out of turn, and this screwed everything up. Shame really, I kind of liked preload.

Cheers,

scott

Board footer