You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-16 12:17:20

nischg
Website

[Solved] Space bar does nothing

Hi:

I've been using Archlinux for a while now and I'm very happy with it.

Yesterday, however, I faced my first real unresolvable problem. After a reboot my space key started to do nothing when pressed.

I'm on a MSI Wind U100, Gnome and everything is up-to-date. If I change to a different TTY space bar works OK, but on Gnome I only get spaces if I press the space bar and AltGr key simultaneously.

I'm not sure what other info can help you guys figure this one out, so please let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

Thanks

Last edited by nischg (2010-04-18 22:52:32)

#2 2010-04-16 16:23:40

Mektub

Re: [Solved] Space bar does nothing

I don't  know if this is related to your problem, but in 2 laptops where I start the gnome settings daemon, several keys started behaving in a very strange way.

I started gconf-editor (is in extra) and did quite blindly untick anything related to keys or function keys.

So f.e. in apps -> gnome-settings-daemon -> plugins -> a11y-keyboard and unticked "active".

This takes a while, and is quite a dumb solution since at the end I don't know what solved the problem,
but it was solved.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#3 2010-04-16 18:38:56

nischg
Website

Thanks for the tip Mektub

I've been browsing through gconf-editor and haven't found anything related to my problem.

Did your keys behave strange after recent updates?

#4 2010-04-16 19:11:13

Mektub

nischg,

I don't use gnome directly, I just use  a WM, in my case icewm. But after login my startup file is starting the
gnome-settings daemon.

I have a desktop and two laptops with similar configurations. About 10 days ago the keyboards of the laptops started
behaving erratically. By disabling the start of the gnome-settings-daemon the problems disappeared, so I concentrated
on it.

Part of the keys were reacting like if the Fn key was pressed, the Fn key is particular to laptops.

I had the feeling that somehow the gnome-settings-daemon was meddling with the keys, so with the gnome-editor
I disabled options that had to do with the keys or function keys, mostly under
apps -> gnome-settings-daemon -> plugins -> keybindings.

The problem went away, but of course I don't know what setting corrected it.

My desktop never had problems with the keyboard. And the laptops were performing correctly until 10 days ago.

Could be an update, but I didn't follow the matter.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#5 2010-04-18 22:51:53

nischg
Website

Finally I found out what was causing my problem. Recently I uninstalled Kupfer (http://bit.ly/brDz5A) and that solved my strange space bar function.

Board footer