You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-26 14:38:52

TomB17

How can I get away from akonadi and strigi?

I've been a Kontact user since it came out and I used Kmail stand alone for many years before that.  The last few months, they have been broken more than they've worked so I have to dump them.  sad

Does anyone have advice with regard to the decision of dumping KDE in favor of gnome or just trying to find apps that don't use akonadi or strigi?

What is the go-to mail app on gnome?  KTorrent equivalent?  KAddressBook?  Dolphin?

I appreciate any advice that might be offered on the subject.

Last edited by TomB17 (2010-05-26 14:39:09)

#2 2010-05-27 01:39:09

herrvideman

Re: How can I get away from akonadi and strigi?

It really all depends on how important it is for you to have Kmail, etc. working.

I will say that Kmail and KDE-PIM in general are supposed to be completely overhauled in KDE 4.5 due out in the beginning of August (although they are not currently in the first beta that was just released). You might want to keep that in mind if you're considering moving to Gnome (which I absolutely hate).

#3 2010-05-27 02:34:59

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps you can remove akonadi as I have done for a long time.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2010-05-27 03:11:05

Gumper

I'm currently feeling the same as you. I'm not really that crazy about Kontact anymore since they started using Akonadi. It's upsetting that there's currently no way to run Kontact without using Akonadi. I don't need the features of Akonadi, whatever they may be.

I'm currently moving to Thunderbird. It's able to do all that Kontact does without being a memory hog. Whenever I start Kontact my memory usage goes up by around 200 meg. You should give Thunderbird a try.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the KDE desktop completely and going to Openbox.

If you're looking for a replacement for Dolphin, you might want to checkout Pcmanfm. I'm running the version from AUR and it's pretty nice.

Ready yourselves, ready yourselves
Let us shine the light of Jesus in the darkest night
Ready yourselves, ready yourselves
May the powers of darkness tremble as our praises rise .... Casting Crowns-Until The Whole World Hears.

#5 2010-05-28 14:35:14

TomB17

lilsirecho wrote:

Perhaps you can remove akonadi as I have done for a long time.

Are you running kontact 4.4.3-2?

#6 2010-05-28 17:43:35

Vamp898
Website

No of my applications use Strigi and its completely disabled on me.

A lot of people mixup Akonadi <--> Nepomuk <--> Strigi

akonadi can use Nepomuk
Nepomuk can use Strigi

You can use akonadi without nepomuk and without strigi

you can use Nepomuk without Strigi and so on

Strigi is a file Indexer

Nepomuk is just for keywords, ratings and things like that

akonadi is a database which replaces that every application have his own Database

All Applications in KDE works together so there is no need that every application have his own database.

KMail doesn´t need Akonadi. The only application that is using Akonadi right now is KAdressbook. Nothing Else.

So if you say "I dont know what akonadi is for" is like to say "i dont know what databases are for". Akonadi just prevents you from having 100 of  small single database instead of 1.

Also akonadi supports Exchange so you can work together with MS Exchange, Evolution and so on

Last edited by Vamp898 (2010-05-28 19:50:33)

#7 2010-07-22 19:20:29

Bushman

Oh, don't forget the fact that the KDE-PIM Opensync plugin is not working, unlike the Evolution plugin.

Last edited by Bushman (2010-07-22 19:20:47)

#8 2010-07-22 20:38:00

jlacroix

I am interested in this too. I use Kmail because I do like it better, but every time I open Kmail I get a page full of Akonadi errors. Interestingly enough, despite the errors that come up when launching Kmail/kontact, it works fine for the most part. I do have an issue sometimes where Kmail will tell me that I have no new messages, but when I check webmail there are a few messages and kmail won't see them until I close it and reopen it.

So even though I'm on the latest KDE, I can remove Akonadi? If so, count me in!!!

#9 2010-07-22 23:52:52

imag1narynumber

Board footer