You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-31 19:04:46

Kalinda

Changing Firefox's Lanauge?

Hello,

So, I'm learning German and thought it'd be fun to change the Firefox (just Firefox) language to DE. However, doing so is proving to be a bigger pain than it ought to be. Here's what I've tried so far:

- I obtained the German language pack from this website http://www.camp-firefox.de/sprachpaket and installed it as an extension. Following the link on that page, I grabbed the language switcher extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/356/) and tried switching the language like the page told me to. The extension doesn't do anything. So I removed it.

- After that I tried using about:config to do it, but that didn't work either. It seems the Language Switcher also changed about:config, but with no luck.

- I'm actually using a Firefox package modified for KDE (firefox-kde-opensuse, it's called), so I decided to rebuild the Firefox language packs Arch package (firefox-i18n) using ABS so that it required firefox-kde-opensuse instead of just plain ol' firefox. It rebuilt fine, but when I try to actually install it, this is what happens:

$ sudo pacman -U firefox-i18n-3.6.3-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
loading package data...
error: 'firefox-i18n-3.6.3-1-any.pkg.tar.xz': cannot open package file

After that I tried installing the language pack .xpi that came with the Arch package, but that didn't work either. No matter what I try, Firefox always restarts with all my menus in English. I figure if I can get my rebuilt package to install, maybe it'll work, but I'm just guessing because I'm using a modified Firefox.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Arch Linux Plasma 5 | AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | 16GB DDR4 RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

#2 2010-05-31 20:42:08

Gusar

Re: Changing Firefox's Lanauge?

What exactly did you change in about:config? In my case, I installed the Slovenian language pack .xpi, then in about:config I changed general.useragent.locale to sl and after a restart Firefox was Slovenian. In your case, try setting general.useragent.locale to either de-DE or just plain de

#3 2010-05-31 20:47:08

Kalinda

*nods* Yeah, that's what I changed in about:config. It's actually currently set to "de", but everything is still in English. I also tried "de-DE", but that didn't work, either.

Thanks

#4 2010-05-31 22:46:32

anonymous_user

Kalinda wrote:

I figure if I can get my rebuilt package to install, maybe it'll work, but I'm just guessing because I'm using a modified Firefox.

Have you tried changing the language using the normal Firefox (just to test your hypothesis)?

#5 2010-06-01 01:26:49

Kalinda

Yeah, I'm currently in the regular Firefox and it's auf Deutsch. So it's the fault of my modified Firefox, which is annoying since I want to actually use that one.

I guess something was done to that one and I'll have to check.

#6 2010-06-01 11:45:53

Radioactiveman

I'm using firefox-nightly from AUR and I can switch between languages. smile

1. install firefox-nightly
2. install firefox-3.7a5pre.de.langpack.xpi
3. about:config  ->  'general.useragent.locale': 'en-US' or 'de'
4. restart Firefox

#7 2010-06-01 19:18:02

Kalinda

Well, I can switch between them if I just run Firefox from the shell script (I'm 32bit). But the thing is, I'd like to use my modified version of Firefox that uses the KDE file dialogues, as I find that awesome. So I'll have to go and ask about it on the AUR page for it.

Board footer