You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-26 02:09:38

krax
Website

arch linux compatible how?

hi fellows
i wana change to archlinux x64 ver. from ubuntu . i have serious issues to consider and want to know if arch is help me  out...
1.does it support ntfs 1tb freeagent disk drive
2.does is find intel marvell yuokkan internal lan card?
3.does it find wireless

#2 2010-06-26 02:19:20

andresp

Re: arch linux compatible how?

All three of the questions depend on the kernel.

You can see if the ubuntu kernel is the same, or better yet, use the arch linux installer as a live disk to see if  your stuff is recognized.

#3 2010-06-26 02:20:35

JackH79
Website

1: yes
2: yes
3: yes

#4 2010-06-26 06:56:28

krax
Website

very much thanks
only one other question :
I want to use my adsl via bridge mode it means:(bridge ppoe)
i set my adsl router to bridge mode the in arch linux  create the  connection with my user and pass connect to Internet when ever  i want . does it do by it self  or it is only possible by command line . for graphic interface do i need wcid or kinternet?

#5 2010-06-26 08:32:52

tomk
Forum Fellow

Choose the method that suits you best - there are CLI and GUI options available.

#6 2010-06-26 17:21:47

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

All those questions suggest you lack a basic background in Linux knowledge. If you see installing Arch as a learning opportunity, that's a good thing, but keep in mind you need skills to use and maintain your installation. Installing it is the easiest part.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#7 2010-06-26 18:03:16

krax
Website

.:B:. wrote:

All those questions suggest you lack a basic background in Linux knowledge. If you see installing Arch as a learning opportunity, that's a good thing, but keep in mind you need skills to use and maintain your installation. Installing it is the easiest part.

no absolutely vis versa 
it is because linux distro is very much different as much as their  similarity.  it  is true tat i am new to arch but does not mean that i haveńt touch linux ever.
i want to know what i face when install arch.
the 3 q i have asked is the most sophisticated problems if arch orany oter linux distro may face u if they have not graphical interface hmm

#8 2010-06-26 18:54:51

abraham10

Hey I'm a Ubuntu user myself and in the process of switching over to Arch. The process is not something that you would expect because in Ubuntu everything is point and click much like windows in a way. I'm not saying that, that is bad but in Arch it is going to be pretty much the opposite. There is not GUI frontend and basically all you have is a "Shell" (terminal) to begin with. There is a lot of configuring to do and your going to run into alot of problems trust me I know but when you get through all that in the end you will have a system designed by you and it will have everything you want and nothing else. Regarding the network connections, right now I have Acer Aspire 532h netbook running Arch with full connectivity, GNOME and some other things. All you have to do is follow the Arch Wiki for beginners which is here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide and make sure to read these other manuals aswell: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman which I would say is the second most important manual you will need to know and last this one: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux wich is an overview of what Arch is. Hope you can join the Arch community as I have done and good luck.

Last edited by abraham10 (2010-06-26 18:55:38)

Most of the question asked can be solved just by reading:
Beginner's Wiki.
Pacman Man.
AUR.

#9 2010-06-28 15:43:37

krax
Website

abraham10 wrote:

Hey I'm a Ubuntu user myself and in the process of switching over to Arch. The process is not something that you would expect because in Ubuntu everything is point and click much like windows in a way. I'm not saying that, that is bad but in Arch it is going to be pretty much the opposite. There is not GUI frontend and basically all you have is a "Shell" (terminal) to begin with. There is a lot of configuring to do and your going to run into alot of problems trust me I know but when you get through all that in the end you will have a system designed by you and it will have everything you want and nothing else. Regarding the network connections, right now I have Acer Aspire 532h netbook running Arch with full connectivity, GNOME and some other things. All you have to do is follow the Arch Wiki for beginners which is here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide and make sure to read these other manuals aswell: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman which I would say is the second most important manual you will need to know and last this one: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux wich is an overview of what Arch is. Hope you can join the Arch community as I have done and good luck.

TNX 1.000000 for U

I wish I had our Comment bit of time Earlier
I did this Yesterday and Nearly i had and Hardtack bt i would be expected when I dl only 300mb Image which should be at least 690mb.
could uexplain How could I run genome after install .
My only way trough internet was Bridge PPOe dsl connect with user and pass Obviously nothing could handle it by shell
It is my second failure for this week which I defeated and lose the war with great osz as I loose the battle of PC-bsd which I heard ould be nice OS.
by the way my mst concern comes true which in both cases I had no  way to access pppoe and my 1tb freeagent us hard desk
sad:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Last edited by krax (2010-06-29 03:03:46)

#10 2010-06-28 20:28:05

bananaoomarang

Yeah just remember, arch doesn't install anything for you. You have to make your system from scratch. It's like gentoo, without having to compile everything (and starting with a VERY basic system).

#11 2010-06-28 20:38:14

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Krax, everything you need to know (and asked) is in the wiki, to which abraham linked you already. Some further reading:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Off … tall_Guide
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/FAQ

Keep in mind the GUI will only be there from the moment you set it up yourself. And beyond the differences that separate Linux distros, they al function the same way. Document yourself before you install.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#12 2010-06-28 20:57:57

tomk
Forum Fellow

One more thing - your IP address indicates that you are in Iran, so you may find the Archlinux Persian Community helpful.

#13 2010-06-29 03:03:04

krax
Website

thank you folks for  all of your Patience.
first dear tomk is it problematic to ask here. if yess letme know not to bother any more.
and you.:b:. I spent 3 hours last nigt, reading wiki that abrahame10told me and then post.
just 3line for dsl andnot about howto make it . just use  rep-pppoe   
first when i have 't yet connected how I can get rp-pppoe packages.

#14 2010-06-29 05:48:46

tomk
Forum Fellow

No problem asking here - but you are expected to use the documentation, just like every other user.

The rp-pppoe package is included in the install image.

#15 2010-06-30 02:39:50

abraham10

When you made you installation for the first time, while you where in the process of marking the packages to install did you notice if the rp-pppoe package was marked for installation if not then your going to have to do a manual installation from the cd if that is able to be done... I don't know how it is done but I'm pretty sure you can install the package from the cd in case it is not installed already. The arch install cd will be the source for your installation. Also you are not bothering anyone, remember you can ask questions just make sure you do some research before hand just in case someone else has already asked the same question as you.

After some searching around I found this: link.

Last edited by abraham10 (2010-06-30 02:44:57)

Most of the question asked can be solved just by reading:
Beginner's Wiki.
Pacman Man.
AUR.

Board footer