You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-10 23:53:50

Website

Install a deb or rpm with pacman?

Hi, I need to install the bitdefender scanner for unices in my arch system because sometimes I have to scan and clean USB keys, but the bitdefender page doesnt provide a tar.gz package, I can see only rpm, deb and ipk extensions.

Link is here: http://download.bitdefender.com/SMB/Wor … x/Current/

Hope you guys can help me out with this one im very confused.

regards

PS: I have found several posts detailing that its not easy, but I think there is an utility called "alien" that can do the conversion on the fly, its available in several distros like red hat or ubuntu, but I cant find it in arch, maybe it has a different name or something.

regards

Linux user #498977
With microsoft you get windows and gates, with linux you get the whole house!
My Blog about ArchLinux and other stuff

#2 2010-08-10 23:59:41

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Install a deb or rpm with pacman?

The fact that you refer to 'alien' means you're using google. Try to use google specifically on the Arch forums (or the Arch forum search button). This has been covered repeatedly. Post again if you need more help.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-08-11 00:21:00

Acecero

Have you looked at rpmextract?

#4 2010-08-11 00:53:16

Website

Yes, I tried with rpmextract but didnt work (using the rpm of course), it says unrecognized archive format.

Well, I found out I can actually start the installation using the .deb package, I go trough the license agreement but once I hit accept it exits with error (of course, I dont have dpkg installed). Can I just install dpkg and install the package?

cheers

UPDATE: One thing I forgot to mention, all the packages are provided in a .run, so the extensions are either .deb.run or .rpm.run, will that give me problems/errors? what if I simply rename it to xxxxxx.deb or xxxxx.rpm (ie. remove the .run part)

Last edited by 655321 (2010-08-11 00:58:40)

Linux user #498977
With microsoft you get windows and gates, with linux you get the whole house!
My Blog about ArchLinux and other stuff

#5 2010-08-11 02:12:48

urist

Someone installed the .ipk version no problem on these very forums. It was under 64-bit Arch, though assuming you're running 32-bit, you should have even less problems than they did.

Board footer