You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-19 19:25:39

ssl6

mythtv....i need help

so i've been building a media center pc, to finally replace my old xbox. and add pvr functionality since i'd rather not buy or rent a second pvr from my cable company. the wife hogs the other one so her schedule overlaps with some of mine. i've always really just wanted an HTPC though, but never got around too it until now

so basically, it runs xbmc mainly. i just want mythtv running to watch tv and schedule recordings. but i can't get it to work. i followed the wiki as best i could. and it detects my tv tuner (a new hvr 2250), but when i open mythtv, it gives me some message about backend database, and i can't get passed it to even test the tv tuner.

i tried installing freevo last night too, but didn't spend enough time on it to get the tv tuner working.

i'd rather get mythtv working though, i hear so much good about it, but at this point, i'll take whatever i get working first that gives me the functionality i want outside of xbmc

this is a signature

#2 2010-08-19 20:56:35

eldragon

Re: mythtv....i need help

ssl6 wrote:

but when i open mythtv, it gives me some message about backend database

not helpful, the actual error might prove more useful.

its probably you havent setup mysql properly.

#3 2010-08-19 21:49:53

ssl6

ok, it says, and i quote

could not connect to the master backend server - - is it running? is the ip address set for it in the setup program correct?

i don't get it, because, if i try to run mythfrontend without mysql running, it tries to start the initial configuration again. then if i start mysql and change any of the settings in that configuration it tells me it can't connect to the database. so obviously, at some point, it can find it, but when i try to run mythfrontend, it craps out on me

this is a signature

#4 2010-08-20 03:23:13

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

have you started /etc/rc.d/mythbackend?

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#5 2010-08-20 10:26:31

ssl6

know what. i'm an idiot..........

i got mythtvy running without error. from xterm, basically, i ran mythbackend from on window and ran mythfrontend from an other, and i don't get that error anymore. so to answer the last question about running mythbackend......that would have been a no

i still can't get my tv tuner figured out. i think its digital only though, from what i read on the mythtv page, and i'm trying to use analogue, because i don't have a receiver, anything digital is encrypted.....so i'm kind of screwed there i think.....i may just have to ditch linux on it and go windows, which i really don't want too

but here's the page i was reading, and i think thats what i read if i read it right
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-2250

this is a signature

#6 2010-08-20 10:54:30

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

Apparently it has VERY experimental analogue support: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/H … V-HVR-2250. If you lived closer I have an old analogue card which I would like to get rid of. On that note, haven't they stopped analogue broadcasting in the states?

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#7 2010-08-20 11:27:30

ssl6

i'm in canada. and i'm on rogers cable....i think i pay them too much for nothing really, but the wife won't sacrifice the 2 channels she likes and save the 40$ a month there, and then the one receiver we're renting from them for 20 a month on top.....

but essentially, on my tv, without a cable receiver i can get channels 1-70 via analogue just fine. i need a receiver to get the encrypted digital signal to get any more than that, which means you have to have their overpriced receiver. but the idea behind a media center box was that i can do things my way, and not be limited by what they give me. not only that, but i can have one box attached to my TV and thats it, a single all in one unit that does what i want, which is what we all want isn't it? sure the media center costs me more overall, but its something that i've put together to more or less meet my criteria, its paid for, i'm not renting it, and if i cancel my cable, i'm not stuck with a paperweight of a receiver that cost me too much. now its just a matter of configuring it to work my way, lol

i have an older pvr150 still, the problem with it is the media center case i bought only takes low profile cards, and with the added in videocard, i don't have room to just slap the tuner on a riser card and lay it sideways, so i'm stuck there. but thanks for brining that up about the experimental, i'll have to try that out

Last edited by ssl6 (2010-08-20 11:35:31)

this is a signature

#8 2010-08-20 13:53:35

ssl6

is it just me, or is this page down?

http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?p=1443

nvm, i got there finally

i downloaded the source, so i'll try it tonight maybe if i have time. i wish i had setup ssh on the box, i could be doing it from work right now.....

Last edited by ssl6 (2010-08-20 14:27:26)

this is a signature

#9 2010-08-21 02:00:49

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

ssl6 wrote:

i'm in canada

yikes sorry! I knew that but got mixed up somehow hmm. Anyway good luck with the experimental driver

#10 2010-08-23 11:53:35

ssl6

gah, i couldn't get it to compile. i hope it was just something i was doing wrong.

i ended up putting windows 7 on another drive for now and got it running MCE until i get mythtv working properly. i feel so dirty now

this is a signature

Board footer