You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-01 08:26:22

sanjuchopra

Installation with wireless connection ??

i have netgear wireless module (wg311v3 with marvell chipset) , and in my hostel there is WPA-2 , PEAP encryption , and then for installing kde through pacman i need internet availability but i don't know how to start wifi with commands ? in other linux i did it with ndiswrapper and network manager .So please help me so that i can enjoy arch linux's stability and speed. And one more question about chakra linux , is that completely compatible with arch

#2 2010-08-01 10:55:20

hokasch

#3 2010-08-01 10:58:11

Caveman85de

Re: Installation with wireless connection ??

afaik there is no support for ndiswrapper during the install, as it requires the ndiswrapper-tool-set.
Chakra-Linux is NOT completely compatible with arch, just as ubuntu is not compatible with debian.
They used arch as a base and added their own configurations to it...

#4 2010-08-01 11:15:00

hokasch

ndiswrapper depends on ndiswrapper-utils, both are in core. Anyway, if you miss any package you can download it separately (along with the .inf files) and install with -U.

#5 2010-08-01 12:41:03

Caveman85de

They are in Core, for sure, but are they available during install?
And how is he going to download the missing packages, when his connection depends on a package that is not on the install-media?

#6 2010-08-01 12:52:38

hokasch

Not sure if it is available from the install environment.
edit: just booted up a netinstall image in VM - ndiswrapper is already installed inside the live environment.

With the core image, there should be no problem at all, as the internet connection is not needed for installing the system, and as said before, ndiswrapper is in core so can be installed from the iso.

For the ftp-image, I was under the impression you could use pacman to install packages inside the live environment, but I may be wrong. Of course you would need to download these on another machine/OS where internet is available, transfer it for example via usb media, and run pacman -U.

Last edited by hokasch (2010-08-01 13:06:48)

#7 2010-08-01 21:19:23

ixnine

ifconfig wlan0 up
iwlist wlan0 scan
wpa_passphrase access_point_name "passphrase" > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

#8 2010-08-03 08:25:06

sanjuchopra

i know about ndiswrapper and its command but the problem is how to locate the .inf files without graphical interface , inf files are in my windows drive .and second thing how to configure it with password and user name with WPA-2 encryption ?
If arch come with kde pre installed and graphical installation it would be best , because many user like me don't install linux because of these difficulties.

#9 2010-08-03 11:37:19

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Every distro has its target audience. Arch is not aimed at those wanting a DE preinstalled. Simple as that.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#10 2010-08-03 13:11:58

alexandrite

sanjuchopra wrote:

i know about ndiswrapper and its command but the problem is how to locate
the .inf files without graphical interface , inf files are in my windows drive .and second
thing how to configure it with password and user name with WPA-2 encryption ?

There are example configurations in wpa_supplicant.conf describing how to configure it to
authenticate via PEAP.  The 100 or so lines of comments at the beginning of
wpa_supplicant.conf can provide all the details you might need if you have questions.

As for the .inf files, read "man mount" and "man cp"

#11 2010-08-24 20:27:41

sanjuchopra

Is there any other way to install some other arch based linux and them come back to arch ??
Because i have tried  to install Arch so many time but failed.
sad:(

#12 2010-08-24 20:41:39

Berticus

There are a couple of other distros based on arch. The only one that comes to mind is the Chakra Project, which uses KDE. If I remember correctly, there was another distro based on Archlinux using LXDE too, or maybe XFCE.

#13 2010-08-25 12:53:03

sanjuchopra

finally i able to  configure ndiswrapper and installed the driver.

smile  smile
iwlist wlan0 scan
was showing the detail of my connection
BUT STILL NOT ABLE TO CONFIGURE  WPA _PEAP ENCRYTED NETWORK
sad
sad
someone please help me i am very close to installation this time .

i am telling you the detail i used to configure it with network manager
encryption was WPA 
WPA version was auto select
eap was PEAP
and authentication was MSCHAPV2

and i chose no certificate
that was all i was doing with network manager .someone  please give me exact commands to configure the network.
please

#14 2010-08-25 13:31:53

tomk
Forum Fellow

That's not the way we work around here. If you need a GUI to set up your network, consider using another distro. Once you have that up and running, you can use it for a while, and also dual-boot with Arch, so you have a working distro, and also an Arch system to learn on.

Alternatively, you can read the wiki's wpa-supplicant page, wpa-supplicant's man page, and as many other related resources as you want, all of which are available via Google. Then you work out the exact commands for yourself, a process which you will ultimately find a lot more satisfying than being spoon-fed here.

#15 2010-08-25 13:55:38

sanjuchopra

i am not saying that i require gui, i just want exact commands because i have tried a lot of times.
I an mandriva user that is very simple and easy for beginners

#16 2010-08-25 13:57:16

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Wouldn't it just be easier to use an ethernet wire and install it first?

On a side note:

sanjuchopra wrote:

Don't fix what is not broken !

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#17 2010-08-25 14:01:09

sanjuchopra

I am at hostel.
There is wireless network ,so i can't use wired network

#18 2010-08-25 14:03:39

hokasch

i am not saying that i require gui

network-manager is a GUI tool. you can find step-by-step instructions in the wiki and additional infos at various sources, as mentioned by tomk.

#19 2010-08-25 14:07:30

sanjuchopra

i used those network manager setting when i used ubuntu.
And i am asking that if someone can give me the setting  of same configration for wpa_supplicant  for arch.

#20 2010-08-25 14:09:54

sanjuchopra

and one more thing when i try to install minimal installation from cd  during package selection i get  pacman preparation failed .

#21 2010-08-25 16:26:45

shemz

wpa_supplicant.conf includes your access point specific configuration. How can someone else give you those details? Read here. Often MSCHAP requires a certificate (at my university, they use GTC), which are in the package ca-certificates (/usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla).

sanjuchopra wrote:

Though I never found it difficult to use Arch, some experience with unix/linux is in deed neccessary to get started. Arch is a DIY distro.

And to the pacman issue, have you verified md5sum of the image you downloaded? And are you using netinstall image without having a working network?

Last edited by shemz (2010-08-25 16:45:47)

#22 2010-08-25 17:04:15

sanjuchopra

i am loged as root and whenever i try /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf     
it shows permission denied

#23 2010-08-25 18:37:53

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

sanjuchopra, it seems you are not even reading the posts from other users and come up with comments which are not related to previous comments. You are not showing any effort in terms of what you are trying to do and yet you expect someone to help you. You do not mention what stage of installation you are on. Have you even created a regular user yet? If so, why are you logging in as root?

There are no magic commands to fix everything for you. Arch is designed such that the user is not only required but EXPECTED to be able to read the documentation perform certain tasks. As you yourself mentioned that you are extremely new to linux, Arch might not be a great fit for you -- atleast not now.

However, if you still insist on installing Arch, I would implore you to read the appropriate documentation IN FULL, before attempting to do anything else. Make sure you understand what is expected of you before you go ahead with the installation.

I am highly inclined towards closing this thread...but I will give you some benefit of doubt and hope that you READ the DOCUMENTATION and then try again.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#24 2010-08-26 02:38:54

sanjuchopra

thanks for the advice .
I read the documentation and the links given in the post and installed Arch successfully.
but only wireless problem is there.I configured the wpa_supplicant.conf for my network configuration.
when i gave the command
#wpa_supplicant -B -wlan0 -Dwext -c/etc/wap_supplicant.conf
The message returned was delete var/run/wpa_supplicant/wlan0     delete manually if not used anymore.

Board footer