You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-27 14:48:02

PreparationH67

(Resolved) Grub will not install, "check /dev/tty7 for output"

I'm trying to install arch on a Dell Powerserver with 2 HDD in a hardware RAID configuration. I am using the i686/x86_x64 net install image on a CD, and it make it though the installation but when I try to install GRUB I get an error saying to check "/dev/tty7" and at reboot will say the OS is missing. I also tried installing GRUB2 by chrooting into the drive and doing a pacman -S grub2. It installed with out producing any errors, but when I rebooted I still got the Missing OS error. I did have to edit the grub config file when I installed grub2, so I may try that again to make sure I didn't mess it up, but if that checks out does anyone know how I can fix this? Also I'm installing the 64bit version.

Last edited by PreparationH67 (2010-08-27 20:58:08)

#2 2010-08-27 16:46:38

Scotty

Re: (Resolved) Grub will not install, "check /dev/tty7 for output"

PreparationH67 wrote:

I'm trying to install arch on a Dell Powerserver with 2 HDD in a hardware RAID configuration. I am using the i686/x86_x64 net install image on a CD, and it make it though the installation but when I try to install GRUB I get an error saying to check "/dev/tty7" and at reboot will say the OS is missing. I also tried installing GRUB2 by chrooting into the drive and doing a pacman -S grub2. It installed with out producing any errors, but when I rebooted I still got the Missing OS error. I did have to edit the grub config file when I installed grub2, so I may try that again to make sure I didn't mess it up, but if that checks out does anyone know how I can fix this? Also I'm installing the 64bit version.

Did you get that Grub error during installation of Grub during the installation with the Arch Installation Framework?

/dev/tty7 is the output console during the installation with the AIF. So if you were told to check it during the AIF, it would have told you the error.

Where did you install Grub to?

Now that you have installed Grub 2, there is even more of a problem (Grub 2 is much more complicated to configure, and is a bit buggy).

Finally, did you installed Arch, did you use the 386 or x64 image? I am confused which architecture you are using.

Scott

#3 2010-08-27 16:47:38

PreparationH67

Looking back, I'm pretty sure I messed up the grub2 install. I'm going to try that again and hopefully avoid any grub issue.

#4 2010-08-27 18:14:39

PreparationH67

Scotty wrote:
PreparationH67 wrote:

Did you get that Grub error during installation of Grub during the installation with the Arch Installation Framework?

/dev/tty7 is the output console during the installation with the AIF. So if you were told to check it during the AIF, it would have told you the error.

Where did you install Grub to?

Now that you have installed Grub 2, there is even more of a problem (Grub 2 is much more complicated to configure, and is a bit buggy).

Finally, did you installed Arch, did you use the 386 or x64 image? I am confused which architecture you are using.

Scott

The grub error happened during installation, and I was installing it to /dev/sda. I am installing the 64bit version from the dual architecture net install image.

#5 2010-08-27 20:57:40

PreparationH67

Nevermind, I rebuilt the RAID array from scratch and now it worked.

#6 2010-08-30 18:40:17

frank.woets

Hello,

I am starting with Arch Linux. I am (trying to) installing it an an ASUS A6000 laptop.
Following the installation guide i get the error message that pacman preparation fialed. Check /dev/tty7 for errors.
Where should i check, what should i do?

Many thanks, Frank

#7 2010-08-30 18:46:15

hokasch

Check /dev/tty7 for errors.
Where should i check, what should i do?

You can switch tty with Alt + F7. This topic is solved, and the OP had a different problem than you. Please open a new one if you can't resolve it.

Board footer