You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-09 09:08:32

Iason

[SOLVED] Help & Questions About Installation

Hi all,

Im writing because i need help, i dont understand what i do wrong.
First i was trying to burn the files of the Arch in a CD(700 mb) but there wasnt a .ISO nether an .IMG file.
I tried to make my new computer' s bios (which i have installed W1n d@ws x p PRO) to run the CD but it wasnt running, because i couldn't run it i copied all the files and burned it, when i was opening the cd, it was swoing me these files: ANY, I686, bootand X84_64 and ISOMOUNTS. i runed unetbootin-windows-471 and intalled it in a 2 gb usb stick and gave me these files: syslinux, ubnfilel, menu.c32, ubpathl. I have print all the codes i will need to install, im ready, i have a second disk of 80 gb in my pc (empty), i have to say that the pro for usb is ony about 2008 arch.

My questions:
1.how i will install it on the second disk, i have also win xp on my n. 1 disk?
2.how much ram does it need?
3.a.will it install correctly with the files i have?
3.b.if not how i will burn it? there is not iso files. (and what i will need)
4. will it damage w1n d0ws?

Thats my questions, thanks.

P.S. sorry for bad english.

Last edited by Iason (2010-09-10 18:13:04)

#2 2010-09-09 09:12:23

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Help & Questions About Installation

Please change your title (edit your first post), noone will know what your thread is about otherwise.

You will need to read the Beginner's Guide, at least questions 1-2 are answered there. Also you don't state where you got the Arch files from. If you have run unetbootin it may or may not give you a working bootable thumbdrive.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-09-09 09:27:13

Iason

can someone answer my questions please?

Last edited by Iason (2010-09-09 13:43:23)

#4 2010-09-09 16:01:45

mcmillan

1. Ngoonee already said to read the Beginners' Guide, if you still don't understand please ask more specific questions
2. Ngoonee already said to read the Beginners' Guide because it's right there
3. As Ngoonee said, you told us what files you didn't use, not what you actually downloaded, so it's hard to say what you have on your USB disk. I'm not sure why you had trouble getting the iso, the[url= download page has torrent files that will download the iso or you can do a direct download
4. Not if you follow the directions correctly. To be safe you should be sure to back up windows before you try to install.

#5 2010-09-09 18:20:14

Iason

mcmillan wrote:

1. Ngoonee already said to read the Beginners' Guide, if you still don't understand please ask more specific questions
2. Ngoonee already said to read the Beginners' Guide because it's right there
3. As Ngoonee said, you told us what files you didn't use, not what you actually downloaded, so it's hard to say what you have on your USB disk. I'm not sure why you had trouble getting the iso, the[url= download page has torrent files that will download the iso or you can do a direct download
4. Not if you follow the directions correctly. To be safe you should be sure to back up windows before you try to install.

the only thing i need now: someone to tell me how to burn it.
i have burn many .iso games and other things like ubunt^ but i cant burn this "thing"

#6 2010-09-09 18:37:24

fsckd
Forum Fellow

The method depends, what is the file name of this "thing"?

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#7 2010-09-09 20:00:34

Iason

fsckd wrote:

The method depends, what is the file name of this "thing"?

it is the file that needs to opened and burned therefore the cd will run to install the ARCH.

Last edited by Iason (2010-09-09 20:02:02)

#8 2010-09-09 20:35:32

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

http://www.archlinux.org/download/

the available downloads ARE .iso files, did you download arch somewhere else?

#9 2010-09-09 20:41:03

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

You can choose an .iso from this mirror:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/archlinux/iso/latest/

Then, use a burning tool to burn it to a CD. You mentioned Windows XP, so maybe try:
http://www.imgburn.com/

#10 2010-09-09 20:42:03

Iason

thestinger wrote:

http://www.archlinux.org/download/

the available downloads ARE .iso files, did you download arch somewhere else?

no i have download it from a direct link that i followed from the Download field. The proble it appears as an R@r file and i have to extract the files and then there was just some files, there wasnt an .ISO file. I also tryed on a friends computer that have n3ro installed. If i wont made it i will try another distro.

Thanks, Jason.

#11 2010-09-09 20:47:32

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Can you simply provide us the link that you downloaded from???

And why would you download Arch from any other place but the official download page ???

Maybe you have made Winrar the default for iso files also and you just *think* that its a rar file. Make sure you check the extension of the file correctly, because Windows XP will hide the extensions of common files. You will have to enable the extensions from Folder Options in Windows Explorer

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#12 2010-09-10 05:03:18

Iason

Inxsible wrote:

Can you simply provide us the link that you downloaded from???

And why would you download Arch from any other place but the official download page ???

Maybe you have made Winrar the default for iso files also and you just *think* that its a rar file. Make sure you check the extension of the file correctly, because Windows XP will hide the extensions of common files. You will have to enable the extensions from Folder Options in Windows Explorer

Finaly someone solved my problem,i was thinking it when i was closing my PC the download sais the file as .ISO but its like RAR, i cant believe that i havent think it before, thanks.

#13 2010-09-10 06:10:38

tomk
Forum Fellow

lason - as already recommended, read the Beginners' guide before you ask any more questions here. If you are careful, thorough, and patient, you will probably be able to install Arch. If you rush into it without being informed and prepared, as you did above, you will fail.

#14 2010-09-10 12:09:25

Iason

im thinking of installing it on my laptop, i have w1nd$ws 7 on it but there is only 1 hdd, it have 1 gb of ram and it is a quite good computer. Is it possible to install it in the same hdd? how i will do it? Sorry for asking but i couldnt find answer in the Guides.
EDIT: If it exist in the guide message me the link

Last edited by Iason (2010-09-10 12:14:53)

#15 2010-09-10 15:10:47

snyda

FWIW, I'd recommend trying an easier distro, like Ubuntu. It can make a transition from Windows to Linux very easy and painless. Generally it gets you up and running easily, handles the HDD partitioning for you and gets the basics installed. From there, you can get comfortable using the terminal and get used to some of the Linux terminology you will run into with a more "do-it-yourself" distro.  I used Ubuntu for a few months before trying Arch out, and haven't looked back at all. Setting up your own system without anyone holding your hand through the process can be challenging, but it's very rewarding in the end.

If you want to jump right in do yourself a favor and print out the entire beginner's guide or (even better) have Internet access available on another system.. also (again from experience)  if it's a laptop install, make sure you have access to a wired internet connection. I had some issues getting my wifi up and running, but was able to connect via my wired connection out of the box.

Once more thing, Google and the Wiki will become your best friends. I haven't had one issue that couldn't be solved by either reading the Wiki or doing a simple Google search.  Every day I'm more and more amazed at the effort that has been put into the Wiki.

Good luck..

#16 2010-09-10 15:11:47

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Search the wiki or forums for dual booting and you will find a bunch of threads and todos

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#17 2010-09-10 17:48:06

Iason

I did it, i installed it, now i have to instal X and Xfce or LXDE whats the advantages and the disadvantages of its one and which have the less bugs?

#18 2010-09-10 17:53:19

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Please keep the thread on topic even if it is your own. Start another thread for other issues that you might have.

Since this thread is solved, mark it as such by editing your first post and prefixing the Subject with [SOLVED].

Look at our wiki or at the websites of the DEs in question and decide for yourself what the advantages/disadvantages are. Here at Arch Linux, we not only expect, but demand that our users perform their own searches and research before asking questions on the forum.

The number of bugs is hardly a criterion to decide whether one DE is better than the other. Bugs may be minor or major or critical. There is just no way you can compare them like that.

If you still insist on doing that, look at the bug tracker for each and perform a count on both and decide.

Forum Rules

Board footer