You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-10 18:12:37

Draklor40

new to arch . need PPPoE and pacman help

hello fellow arch users. i am quite new to arch <though  have been using Ubuntu for the past 4-5 months > and am having  trouble  downloading and installing packages  .
i used  pppd and  the it automatically adjusted all the settings and enabled my DSL connection .on using pppoe-start  the  status replied as connected  but when i run  pacman to install Xorg and lxde .

i get the "package not found message  and on using pacman -U or pacman -S i also  get the unable to "sync db" error . its helluva tough compared to Ubuntu . so i can anyone help me or atleast direct me to a thread where such an issue has  been addressed /
p.s: i already tried the arch wiki and i couldn't solve the problem . i am typing this from another backup computer

any help would be very much appreciated  smile

#2 2010-09-10 18:37:16

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: new to arch . need PPPoE and pacman help

can you ping some other site?
try

ping -c 3 www.google.com

If yes, then it might be an issue with the mirror that you are using. Have you uncommented any mirror (one that is geographically closer to you) in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2010-09-10 18:37:52

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: new to arch . need PPPoE and pacman help

Perhaps you should sync the db first with...... pacman -Syy..

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer