You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-16 02:41:48

onamattuphere

[SOLVED] OK to remove build directory after installing AUR package?

Howdy.
This is my first attempt at installing AUR - wasn't as intimidating as I first thought and Exfalso working fine.
I would like to know if I can safely remove the build directory with all its files in order to maintain tidyness in my "/home"-dir?

Thank you.

Last edited by onamattuphere (2010-09-16 07:03:22)

-Customer support, how may I help you?
-Hi. The cup holder on my computer isn't working. I'm pressing the button, but it's not coming out.
(True story)

#2 2010-09-16 02:43:16

codycarey

Re: [SOLVED] OK to remove build directory after installing AUR package?

Yes you can, but I tend to create a directory just for custom packages and place the package directories there in case I need them later on.

Last edited by codycarey (2010-09-16 02:44:09)

#3 2010-09-16 02:44:47

warenoso

it is ok.

#4 2010-09-16 04:50:26

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

makepkg has a -c option to do this automatically for you. I commonly like to use makepkg -sic:
-s = install dependencies
-i = install after (successful) build
-c = cleanup

#5 2010-09-16 06:15:09

onamattuphere

Thanks for great replies.

codycarey: Will it suffice to just store the pkg.tar.xz-file if I want to keep the package for future offline re-installs?

-Customer support, how may I help you?
-Hi. The cup holder on my computer isn't working. I'm pressing the button, but it's not coming out.
(True story)

#6 2010-09-16 06:22:50

codycarey

onamattuphere wrote:

codycarey: Will it suffice to just store the pkg.tar.xz-file if I want to keep the package for future offline re-installs?

Yeah, if you pacman -R the package and then want the exact same thing later on you can just pacman -U the *.tar.gz again.

#7 2010-09-16 08:36:48

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

codycarey wrote:
onamattuphere wrote:

Yeah, if you pacman -R the package and then want the exact same thing later on you can just pacman -U the *.tar.gz again.

However if that's later on and your system has updated some libs the package depends on you may not be able to get it to work. Perhaps better (depending on the package) to keep a copy of the source, because some packages need recompiling to work (for example, the nvidia-beta drivers once a kernel updates need to be re-'compiled'.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2010-09-16 11:50:55

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

onamattuphere wrote:

You might like to look at PKGDEST and SRCDEST in /etc/makepkg.conf to have makepkg store all your built packages in a common location for you.

Board footer