You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-16 03:21:14

przemeklach

[SOLVED] Installing Arch in Oracle VM VirtualBox

I'm following the beginners guide to install Arch in my VM. I've installed Arch many times as the home OS many times with no problems.

When I get to Part III: Install X and configure ALSA I do the modified version of Step 2: Install X as explained here:

"Warning: If you'er installing Arch in a Virtualbox guest , you need a different way to complete X installation. See this Running_Arch_Linux_as_a_guest,then skip All ABC steps."

Problem is that when I follow the instructions I never get gnome to boot. Is there some reading between the lines here? It says to skip steps A, B and C but I don't see how anything gnome is supposed to work without these steps.

Some help please. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by przemeklach (2011-05-08 20:04:06)

#2 2010-09-19 21:32:30

przemeklach

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Arch in Oracle VM VirtualBox

Still not working. I tried installing using the normal way (pretending I'm not in a VM) and just installed the nvidia drivers for my card. Gnome loads fine, the problem is that I only get 800x600 resolution.
I can't recall was has changed in the install setup but I do recall following the instructions a few months ago, before this vmware instruction was put on there, and I was able to install with no problems with working video driver.
Tried, again, using the new way but when I reboot I still only get the command prompt and why I type 'startx' it tells me that 'command not found'.

#3 2010-09-20 00:33:19

sand_man

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Arch in Oracle VM VirtualBox

You are only getting 800x600 because it is using the vesa driver. Installing nvidia driver in a VM is useless as it won't get used. If you want higher resolution then you need to install the guest additions.

If startx cannot be found then you need to install xorg-xinit

Last edited by sand_man (2010-09-20 00:35:05)

neutral

Board footer