You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-23 10:12:47

birdie101

Could someone please help me with getting the sabnzbd daemon to start?

Hi everyone,

I'm a classic newbie.  I managed to follow some instructions I found on the web to get sabnzbd to install (via Yaourt), and when I invoke it from the command line, it works fine.

I've read that you can get it to start as a daemon, which would be really good.  Could someone please explain how this should be done?

Where do I need to put the sabnzbd.init file?
What about the sabnzbd.confd file?

I'm okay enough with adding sabnzbd to the /etc/rc.conf file, but I can't quite configure it so that the necessary files are in place to start it.

If you need any details of my setup, please let me know.

Thanks heaps,
Luke

#2 2010-09-23 10:32:09

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Could someone please help me with getting the sabnzbd daemon to start?

The answers to your questions are in the PKGBUILD - you are meant to read through it before you install. Assuming yaourt worked as intended, the files you are asking about have already been installed on your system.

I'd suggest you familiarise yourself with the actual processes used when building and installing packages - using yaourt may be convenient, but it obscures those vital details. See the wiki for more info.

More generally - Arch is not intended for newbies, "classic" or any other type. Feel free to continue using it, but be prepared for answers similar to the above if you ask more simple questions that have already been answered in the documentation.

#3 2010-09-23 11:47:21

shemz

From the pkgbuild:

install -D -m755 $startdir/sabnzbd.init $startdir/pkg/etc/rc.d/sabnzbd

AUR also has facility for discussion, in case you have any doubt regarding a specific pkgbuild or package.

#4 2010-09-24 07:26:14

birdie101

Where would I find a good place to describe how to install programs using PKGBUILDs?  and what that process is actually doing?

Thanks,
Luke

#5 2010-09-24 07:28:40

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

The Arch Wiki will generally have very good reference material:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2010-09-24 07:28:43

Deusdies

yaourt will at the end of installation tell you what to do next. E.g. when I installed catalyst with yaourt, at the end of installation it outputted "don't forget to add fglrx in modules line of /etc/rc.conf"

My website - http://www.LinuxDistroReview.com - reviews all the linux distros out there

Here's the Arch Linux review: http://www.linuxdistroreview.com/arch-linux

#7 2010-09-24 08:02:23

shemz

birdie101 wrote:

Where would I find a good place to describe how to install programs using PKGBUILDs?  and what that process is actually doing?

Apart from the wiki article on ABS, always look at the pkgbuild when in doubt. This is also helpful when you want to know what compile arguments are passed to GCC. Custom postinstall commands are run through .install file (example what is displayed after installation), this is generally foo.install in the AUR for a pkg named foo. And most importantly, familiarize yourself with compiling process, and Arch specific routines like a daemon should be defined in /etc/rc.d/, instead of /etc/init.d/ in other linuxes.

Edit: A best exercise would be to create a pkgbuild yourself. Arch always recommends community contributions. tongue

Last edited by shemz (2010-09-24 08:08:14)

#8 2010-09-24 08:12:54

IncredibleLaser

I don't start sabnzbd system-wide, but as user and on demand in tmux.

Board footer