You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-26 02:21:59

Sakura

Wallpaper covers whole screen before going to the background.

Just as the topic title suggests, whenever I change my wallpaper with feh, my entire screen flickers. I would describe it as the wallpaper being placed over everything (my panel, programs, etc) for about a millisecond, before going to the background where it belongs. I have my wallpaper set to change every 5 minutes, so this is a pretty annoying quirk. Anybody know why this is and/or how to fix it? I'm also open to suggestions for using different programs to change my background, but they all have the same behaviour (wmsetbg, etc).

I'm using Openbox on top of X.

Last edited by Sakura (2010-10-03 03:20:40)

#2 2010-09-26 23:24:36

Sakura

Re: Wallpaper covers whole screen before going to the background.

I forgot to mention that I use Openbox on top of X.

I've also deciphered a bit more of the problem. If I do nothing when the wallpaper changes, it stays on top of my entire screen, covering everything below. The moment I move my mouse, or type something, the wallpaper goes to the background.

#3 2010-10-03 03:19:04

Sakura

Re: Wallpaper covers whole screen before going to the background.

All right, an update. I've tried using nitrogen, and basically every other wallpaper setting program out there, but they all do the same thing. The wallpaper covers everything for a second before going to where it belongs in the background.

Edit:

All right! After spending hours on this problem, I've found the problem. It's the compositing window manager. In my case, it was xcompmgr, and after reading the man page and trying every possible configuration, nothing worked. So I just went with a different compositing manager like cairo, and everything began working. I really hope this helps someone.

Last edited by Sakura (2010-10-03 04:28:44)

Board footer