You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-04 12:43:48

scarletxfi

two random scaled wallpapers on dual monitors openbox, possible?

In KDE there is an option to set a random wallpaper per monitor (ie two different wallpapers on two different screens in dual monitor setup). the wallpapers get scaled (to the resolution of the screen) and are then randomly changed every 30 minutes.
the likelihood the same picture gets displayed on both screens, depends on the amount of pictures you have.

Is there a way to do this in Openbox?

I tried with feh and nitrogen but they both seemed to display 1 picture at a time and stretched to fit both screens.
I can display two different pictures with feh, then muck around with the position, but they display in windowed mode not as a wallpaper
so in otherwords, is there a way i can use feh --bg-scale with "-gz" (for limiting and randomizing), and then call feh twice and display it on difference screens?
Unless there is another lightweight program that can do it?

hardware: nvidia 8400gs

p.s. openbox is pretty cool.. the only thing i miss from KDE: clock dislplay (easly fixed), and two wallpapers changing every half hour

#2 2010-10-04 13:43:05

kittykatt
Website

Re: two random scaled wallpapers on dual monitors openbox, possible?

What I personally use is my xorg.conf to define two screens. Then feh will set a wallpaper for whatever display you define. For example...

DISPLAY=:0.1 feh --bg-scale /path/to/wallpaper

I also use a simple random wallpaper I made to randomize wallpapers using feh. On login, it will choose a random image from my ~/.wallpapers/ directory. Here's that script...

# Change the line below to the
# directory that has your wallpaper
# images
WALLPAPERS="$HOME/.wallpapers"
ALIST=( `ls -w1 $WALLPAPERS` )
RANGE=${#ALIST[*]}
SHOW=$(( $RANDOM % $RANGE ))

feh --bg-scale $WALLPAPERS/${ALIST[$SHOW]}

This can easily be added to execute on a timer (say 30 minutes). Hope this helped. big_smile

- [ My Blog ] | [ AUR Packages ] | [ My deviantART ] | [ screenFetch ] | [ SilverIRC ] -

Board footer