You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-05 18:32:19

alf

Chromium, Firefox, alota other stuff

Hello, i'm new on the forum!
Atm I'm using a ubuntu minimal install, since i'm fairly new to the linux platform. Been stuck in windows since my childhood, and decided that it was time for me to move on to something else. I've been using terminal as much as possible, and i've been reading myself up on linux. alot.
However, i'm planning to move on to arch linux when i get more experienced, prolly in a week or something (you dont learn anything if you dont challenge yourself wink ) So i thought i would create an account at these arch linux forums.

at the moment everything is working flawlessly with openbox, and other small applications on my PC. I've had some problems with sound, nvidia driver etc, but it all worked out fine after some hours of frustration.

Since my computer is somewhat old (6-7 years), it cant run everything as smoothly as before, and yes it's good as new. So i noticed that firefox actually is a very heavy web browser, and that chromium is like a much faster browser for me.
Chromium was therefore my browser choice, but this is where it gets ugly.

Since i'm no guru of the linux platform, I really only had the choice of 3 web browsers: Firefox, Opera, Chromium. I dont know any other.
So i thought that maybe you guys know of a web browser that supports the firefox plugins, such as greasemonkey, gecko, etc. but also is alot faster than firefox? is it even possible?
I know chromium supports some of the plugins, but i'm experiencing problems with the gecko plugin, which is the most important plugin for me.

(That's because flash on linux is really terrible, and i want to play flash in gecko for better performance)

Also: is the vlc plugin able to play youtube and divx (www.stagevu.com, for example).

Thanks in advance. big_smile

#2 2010-07-05 18:52:52

karol
Archivist

Re: Chromium, Firefox, alota other stuff

Is firefox w/o the plugins heavy and slow for you? It's not fair to compare a "bare" chromium to a firefox loaded with a dozen plugins.

> because flash on linux is really terrible
I too have an old computer w/ just an onboard graphics card. I prefer to download and watch via mplayer.

#3 2010-07-05 18:58:55

alf

Well it's not very slow, but chromium is significantly faster.

Also, i need to be able to watch youtube alot, as i'm kind of a hardcore youtuber. Therefore a embeded player would be my first choice, instead of downloading every vid.
As for divx, i like to watch the movie as it's buffering/caching.

Anyway, is it possible? are there any web browsers like this? are there any workarounds for chromium to get these nice feats?

Last edited by alf (2010-07-05 19:01:42)

#4 2010-07-06 16:33:30

alf

Ok, so i've been doing a little researching.
If i've gotten it right, in order to use at least the gecko mplayer-plugin, you have to use a gecko-based web browser (Firefox is gecko-based and apparently chromium isn't, and gecko is developed by Mozilla or something).

So i guess the real question is: Do you guys know of any good gecko-based browsers? Preferably lightweight and fast.

Also, any news about vlc-plugin? as i like vlc alot more than mplayer, i'd prefer a vlc-plugin.

Thanks,
alf

#5 2010-07-06 17:24:32

anonymous_user

alf wrote:

If i've gotten it right, in order to use at least the gecko mplayer-plugin, you have to use a gecko-based web browser

gecko-mediaplayer works fine in non-Gecko-based browsers too. I just tried it with Midori.

#6 2010-07-06 17:32:12

alf

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ubuntu-tip-ge … wsers.html told me otherwise, i've been told lies! (Or possibly i got it wrong)

Ok thanks for the information, but i cant seem to get gecko working on chromium.

#7 2010-07-06 17:53:06

anonymous_user

Chromium/Chrome has blacklisted gecko-mediaplayer due to some issues.

#8 2010-07-06 18:08:18

alf

oh, then i guess everything will be okay. I'll just choose some browser from the lightweight section of the wiki smile

However, did anybody know anything about vlc for browsers? are there any "home-made" plugins for vlc etc?

maybe i should create a vlc-thread?

Last edited by alf (2010-07-06 18:50:09)

#9 2010-07-06 18:11:41

anonymous_user

Whats wrong with vlc-plugin?

#10 2010-07-06 18:15:06

alf

firstly it's got issues with divx
also i didn't get it to play youtube
maybe i'm just being a newb,

Has anyone tried Mazrim in the AUR?

#11 2010-07-06 18:24:28

barzam

Maybe something like minitube?
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34462

#12 2010-07-06 18:34:25

alf

Minitube looks great, but isn't exactly what i'm looking for.
The reason is that I have a youtube account with alota favourites i need to access often, and minitube doesn't seem to support that. (I'm a dnb/liquid dnb-lover, and this wonderful music genre's kinda rare, so youtube's like the only place with a great collection cool)
Also it doesn't play on other sites such as purepwnage.com, an insanely awesome show(?)

Thanks for the tip though, i might need it in the future smile

Last edited by alf (2010-07-06 18:37:56)

#13 2010-09-15 20:40:15

shulamy

in my case mazrim works with vlc only.

ezik

#14 2010-09-15 20:48:55

codycarey

I love Chrome to death, I absolutely love it. But its APIs are incredibly weak so the plugins are crappy. Actually all I want is the ability to have multi-row tabs, but the Google developers have stated that it's not in line with their KISS principles so it'll almost never happen. They're starting to smell like Apple.

/rant. Sorry. tongue

#15 2010-10-17 01:28:49

Dlorag

Welcome Alf, you remind me a lot of when I started using Linux. I am surprised no one mentioned the browser Kazehakase its being rapidly developed using the same gecko engine as firefox but with certain performance in mind. I used that browser along with privoxy for some amazing content filtering optimizations. The only fault I had with that browser was its waste of screen space ui and how no one ever compiled it with the really hardcore options. I would like to also mention if you do pacman -S chromium you can have the latest update of chrome its a bit more bleeding edge.

vlc I did use for a time and it pretty much plays anything you can throw at it right out of the box however I have always been attracted to mplayer which can easily be played from cli can even do ascii movies and has nice theme support. I've on occasion accidentally hit the keyboard while watching a video with vlc and had it flip the image upside down or play it at 1.5x speed and other retarded hindrances that really urk my nerves. I'd say its more for playing raw output that needs minor tweaking than for every day use which brings the question why not use some video editing software? Right now I'm using smplayer which yes has a rather bulky ui but its the least menu complicated ui for mplayer.

Also there is a desktop environment called lxde which has incorporated openbox so if you want some light gui apps that are desktop independent feel free to mooch.

Board footer