You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-17 17:39:24

wetterau

cups authentication

Hi, just setting up Arch and am unable to sign on to cups. Have searched and read and experimented for hours without success. The cups error message says "unable to set ACL's on root certificate "/var/run/cups/certs/0" Operation not supported.

The permissions on .../certs directory are read only for owner "daemon" and group "sys" If I change this to r/w for both and "killall -HUP cupsd", and then restart: "cupsd", the same error appears and the permissions on .../certs have been reset to read only.

Otherwise, this is a wonderful os. Have used redhat, Debian, Zenwalk, DSL, Puppy, Slitaz, and others. I like this the best so far. Pacman is really fine. Thanks for any suggestions, john

#2 2010-10-18 14:09:30

Thor@Flanders

Re: cups authentication

Hi,
CUPS is a great way to get something committed to paper, and a (relative) easy thing to get along with...

Let's see. CUPS has to be installed and configured, I guess you've had a sniff on this docu:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS
Next, the printer needs to be installed. Is it a server on the network? Have it running properly on THAT machine first. Install via the web interface...
Okay, in that case, perhaps this could be a good read:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=105954
It...helped me getting the printer up and running.
To get to work with CUPS, you need to either log onto the local machine (http://127.0.0.1:631) or the remote machinr (IP.address:631) the port - 631 - is very important as it is the port CUPS listens to.
Of course, this all works if CUPS is running, check that:

ps -A

See CUPS in the list? No? Get it running

/etc/rc.d/cups start

Of course, you will read that in the article above...

Log in to CUPS with the root of the local or remote machine, depending where it is, of course.

I hope you'll get it up and running soon!

Luck

Thor

#3 2010-10-19 15:18:57

wetterau

Thor, thanks for your helpful post. I've been able to get past the login problem and am now working to find the right .ppd for this Canon i950. This has been a problem with other operating systems. Finally got it working with a Canon i850 + Gutenprint driver using Puppy and cups 1.3. That driver doesn't work with my Arch setup. Perhaps I need Gutenprint? Anyway, I'll get it eventually. Thanks again. john

#4 2010-10-19 18:55:36

matzo

Hi, just setting up Arch and am unable to sign on to cups. Have searched and read and experimented for hours without success. The cups error message says "unable to set ACL's on root certificate "/var/run/cups/certs/0" Operation not supported.

Hi,

If you use an EXT- filesystem you have to mount the "/ var" partition with the "acl" option. This should allow CUPS to set the permissions correctly.

#5 2010-10-20 15:15:42

Thor@Flanders

Hi Wetterau,

You're welcome! And...yes, you'll need Gutenprint, it has a lot of drivers, and I'd be surprised if the one you need is not in there...

Luck!

Thor

Board footer