You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-30 22:07:22

Archie_Enthusiasm

gdm login manager background picture[SOLVED]

Hello all,

I use gnome and gdm. I am wondering how I can change the background image of gdm behind the login window so that I can set my wallpaper image of my desktop also as background image for gdm login. Right now, it is somehow strange to have this green default image behind the login window but my wallpaper pciture is really cool.

Is there any way for proper configuration? I do not want to mess up with the normal configuration. I just want to know whether gdm itself supports this kind of feature.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Archie_Enthusiasm (2010-11-28 15:49:53)

#2 2010-10-30 22:32:42

Radioactiveman

Re: gdm login manager background picture[SOLVED]

#3 2010-10-30 23:09:00

Archie_Enthusiasm

Thanks for the response.

but is it secure just to replace that picture as you posted there? I mean I should first delete the default image and put my wallpaper image there with the same name right?

Is there no other way to do this in gdm or gnome GUI? Is it really normal way to create a soft link for gnome-appearance-properties.desktop and then change the image? It seems like that changing that image was planned not to be supported and thus people found an unusual way to do this.

Please consult me concerning this. At the moment, I am really happy with my system and do not want to touch the original system by doing things manually.

Again thanks a million for any kind of help.

#4 2010-10-30 23:20:44

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Archie_Enthusiasm wrote:

Is there no other way to do this in gdm or gnome GUI? Is it really normal way to create a soft link for gnome-appearance-properties.desktop and then change the image? It seems like that changing that image was planned not to be supported and thus people found an unusual way to do this.

Please consult me concerning this. At the moment, I am really happy with my system and do not want to touch the original system by doing things manually.

Arch, and Linux in general, is about freeing you to be able to make whatever you want of your system. If you are looking for a "supported" method or a GUI, you can either live with the background image you have, or you can get your hands dirty and learn how your system works. It's your choice.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2010-10-31 06:24:57

Beelzebud

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gnome#Configure

I use the last method, as you can even set up the theme.

#6 2010-10-31 13:32:12

Archie_Enthusiasm

It did the job. Thanks. big_smile and big_smile

Board footer