You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-31 17:58:47

Archie_Enthusiasm

gnome terminal no background transparency option[SOLVED]

Hello guys,

I hope someone can help me. I am using gnome. Therefore I also use gnome terminal for CLI. The problem is that I can not configure my profile preference on gnome terminal to make it show me the current active window of my desktop as background for the gnome terminal. When I choose transparent background, it always shows me only the wallpaper of my desktop as background. If the current window could be set as background for the gnome terminal, it would be much useful for me because I can read from the background and work in the terminal at the same time. This helps specially when I do programming. Just for example, I launch eclipse in the background and do some programming in CLI for example with vim or emacs. It saves much time and makes it even more efficient.

Last edited by Archie_Enthusiasm (2010-11-28 15:52:48)

#2 2010-10-31 18:33:18

machoo02

Re: gnome terminal no background transparency option[SOLVED]

Are you using compositing? I believe that is required to get true window transparency.

#3 2010-10-31 18:51:34

eldragon

machoo02 wrote:

Are you using compositing? I believe that is required to get true window transparency.

what he said.

use compiz

#4 2010-10-31 20:30:30

Tux the penguin

eldragon wrote:

use compiz

I think that metacity can do compositing, so you don't need compiz. It is in the list of compositing window managers on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compositin … w_managers
I don't know how to turn on metacity's compositing, though, as I don't use GNOME anymore.  You could also try roxterm. It still needs compositing (I think), but it does have a transparency option. I don't remember seeing an option for transparency in GNOME-terminal, maybe I just missed it.

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
MSI CR600 / 3GB Memory / 320GB HDD / Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00 GHz | Archlinux x86_64

#5 2010-10-31 20:37:08

wonder
Developer
Website

to enable metacity composing do:
gconftool-2 --set --type boolean /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager true

or open gconf-editor and set up compositing_manager to true

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

Board footer