You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-17 11:23:18

Britzel

Perl package maintenance under Arch - how?

Hi.

New to Arch (but not to Linux in general).

I have seen that Perl 5.12 is in core of Arch, which is good. In my work I need a _lot_ of Perl modules from CPAN, besides the standard core modules which come bundled with Perl.

Question:
How is the installation of new and maintenance of installed Perl modules handled in Arch?

My experience with other distros is that many modules are part of the repositories, but sometimes outdated and not very well maintained. So I start to install Perl modules manually with cpan, but sooner or later my manual installations clash with the ones brought in by the package manager. This is not something impossible to solve, just time consuming and not automated at all.

So how does Arch does this?

Cheers & TIA,
Britzel

#2 2010-10-17 11:55:00

Foucault

Re: Perl package maintenance under Arch - how?

Many perl modules, that do not exist in [extra] or [community], can be found in AUR so you can check if the package you want is there. If it's not you may want to try out bauerbill that will download and build perl packages along with dependencies through CPAN. Alternatively, you can build your own PKGBUILDs (check /usr/share/pacman/PKGBUILD-perl.proto to get started). In the end you always have arch packages which can be updated cleanly through pacman.

Last edited by Foucault (2010-10-17 11:56:17)

#3 2010-10-17 12:45:08

Britzel

Ok, thanks for the fast reply.
So I use other repos or pacman and other tools (sorry, I am not yet familiar with the Arch lingo) to make my own packages, right? Sounds good.

Cheers,
Britzel

#4 2010-10-17 15:32:20

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Britzel wrote:

Ok, thanks for the fast reply.
So I use other repos or pacman and other tools (sorry, I am not yet familiar with the Arch lingo) to make my own packages, right? Sounds good.

Cheers,
Britzel

Well, you should try Xyne's package manager bauerbill as it has support from installing modules directly from CPAN as if they were regular packages.

Oh, and bauerbill is in the AUR smile

#5 2010-10-17 17:33:13

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

itsbrad212 wrote:

Well, you should try Xyne's package manager bauerbill as it has support from installing modules directly from CPAN as if they were regular packages.

smile

Using bauerbill (in conjunction with pacpan), you can install most packages from CPAN automatically. A few may require intervention but it's usually trivial.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#6 2010-11-02 19:11:52

SIGTERM
Website

As said, you can find most modules in the repos.
If a module is not in there, I'd suggest using perl-cpanplus-pacman to easily create a PKGBUILD for the specific module.

Board footer