You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-30 16:17:08

Japanlinux

Broadcom-wl script?

Hello, I really want to use arch on my netbook (hp mini 210) but the wireless is being a pain in the butt. I used ubuntu, but switched to debian. On debian, I found a script to install the broadcom-wl drivers, and was hoping someone could make a arch version of it. I follow the steps in the wiki for broadcom, but it doesn't work, so I think I'm missing some big step. If someone could kindly make me a broadcom-wl install script, I'd be grateful.
here is the debian script (made by gramps50) below, for those that want to see it:

#! /bin/bash
# Install the wifi drivers for Broadcom 4312 wifi
# Add contrib non-free to the app source list befor using - Note this may not
# be necessary on LMDE
############################################################################

## Update the list of available packages. Install the module-assistant and
##   wireless-tools packages:

sudo aptitude update
   sudo aptitude install module-assistant wireless-tools

## Build and install a broadcom-sta-modules-* package for your system,
##   using Module-Assistant:

sudo m-a a-i broadcom-sta

## Rebuild your initial ramdisk, to blacklist modules defined at
##   /etc/modprobe.d/broadcom-sta-common.conf within initramfs:

sudo update-initramfs -u -k $(uname -r)

## Unload conflicting modules:

sudo modprobe -r b44 b43 b43legacy ssb 

## Load the wl module:

sudo modprobe wl 

## Verify your device has an available interface:

sudo iwconfig

## Configure your wireless interface as appropriate. 

## At this point I don't think that the wl driver will load on startup so

sudo echo wl >> /etc/modules

#2 2010-10-30 17:07:48

medianmajik

Re: Broadcom-wl script?

Hold up a minute.  You need to list the steps you've taken and what output your system is spitting back.  Every step in that script is covered in the wiki.  Broadcom-wl is available in the aur and should be iirc part of the kernel.  Is broadcom-wl not yet installed? Have you added aur access to your machine?  There is a thread for broadcom-wl problems that you should read.  Check your rc.conf and list what you use for networking (wicd,netcfg,etc).

One thing at a time

#3 2010-10-30 17:09:33

Unia
Website

Things you have to change:
1. Change sudo aptitude update to pacman -Syu
2. Change all sudo aptitude install to pacman -S.

You'll also might have to change some package names, but I'm not sure about that. Neither am I sure about the rest of the script, so I'll leave that to someone smarter than me.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#4 2010-10-30 19:05:10

Japanlinux

Well,if you want to know what goes wrong; after I install everything per wiki instructions, the modprobe wl and iwconfig show no output. Same went for debian until i tried the script. So clearly I am missing some step.

For the step m-a a-i
would this work on arch as well if I changed the broadcom-sta to broadcom-wl?
thanks!

#5 2010-10-30 20:52:46

medianmajik

Have you tried installing broadcom-wl from the AUR?  Is your rc.conf properly configured?

One thing at a time

#6 2010-11-03 17:04:33

Japanlinux

Well, since a script doesn't seem likely, could someone explain why wl won't work. I follow the wiki, but modprobe wl comes up with nothing and iwconfig only sees a wired connection and no wireless ability. My netbook definitely uses the Aur broadcom-wl drivers, because that's what it uses in ubuntu or debian. The only thing i see different is that in debian i have to use command 'm-a a-i....' while in arch i just put wl and lib80211_crypt_tkip in my modules...

#7 2010-11-03 18:10:24

shemz

Install broadcom-wl from aur, blacklist !b43 and !ssb in /etc/rc.conf and reboot, voila! If it doesn't work still, can you post the output of lsmod?

For m-a, here. Its a debian tool. For broadcom-wl, you dont need to build the module as it is not open source and comes prebuilt from broadcom.

Edit: That was for compiling. It still has to be built for the running kernel, which in this case is taken care of by the pkgbuild.

KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd`

Last edited by shemz (2010-11-03 18:17:49)

Board footer