You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-10 23:53:26

Cotton

Convert USB to USB-HDD?

Is it possible to use fdisk (or any other software tool) to make a USB flash memory stick appear to be an external USB HDD?

I want to use the USB stick in conjunction with a TV set top box but it always see it as memory stick. The STB won't allow recordings to a USB stick but will record to a USB HDD. 
I've tried creating a file system with no partitions (which I believe is USB-Floppy) but it was still seen as flash stick.

Any ideas, or is this a hardware issue that I can't do anything about?

#2 2010-11-11 00:24:27

hexanol

Re: Convert USB to USB-HDD?

I doubt it's possible, i.e. it's a hardware issue, the USB is identifying itself with the USB hub as a USB flash drive, and you can't do much about it.

See the output of 'lsusb -v' to get more insight about this...

#3 2010-11-11 00:27:18

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps you can use usb hdd enclosure (with appropriate connector cable internal to it) and install a cf to IDE adapter.  This needs 5 vdc on a floppy type conmnector to run the adapter. ( An adapter cable from the ide power connector would provide the floppy power connector that is needed.)  The adapter would fit nicely in the enclosure and no fan would be needed.EDIT: Addonics cf to ide adapter for example.

The CF card would operate as a full speed (45mb/s read) if the CF card is similar to adata 266x types. It should then be identified as USB HDD.

The write speed of the CF is probably ~ 12 mb/sec.

It may seem to be a lot of hardware but it should work.

EDIT: The actual performance of course is limited by the USB interface bus speed.

Last edited by lilsirecho (2010-11-11 00:46:48)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2010-11-11 08:56:20

ijanos

Cotton wrote:

Any ideas, or is this a hardware issue that I can't do anything about?

It is a HW issue, even if you fool the device with a USB stick, it will most likely to fail because recording live streams needs a fast device.

Board footer