You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-12 11:33:28

Halcyon22

[SOLVED] as user all terminals close withing seconds of opening,...

Please help, I seem to have messed something up with bash. When i log into a virtual console as a user, it automatically logs me back out, logging in as root is fine. I was able to start a x session as a user by putting a script into .bash_profile that lets me choose a wm to use, inside the x session all terminals close within seconds of opening, xterm, terminal, terminator, etc. If i start a x session as root all terminals work fine. I have tried reinstalling bash, removing the users .bashrc, removing the /etc/bash.bashrc, also i tried changing the permissions of .bashrc and /etc/bash.bash to 775. It started happening after I installed bash-completion, could that be related? I removed the package and it still happens. please please help i dont know what to do besides create a new user and copy all my user files (400GB), or reinstall. thank you

edit: also if i try to 'su user' as root it doesnt work, also there are no error messages either when i try to start a terminal in a x session or 'su user'

Well I was able to track the problem down to .inputrc inside the users directory, the problem was I copied my entire /etc/inputrc into ~/.inputrc. I had just edited it to include 'set show-all-if-ambiguous on' for bash-completion then copied the entire file into ~/. [ I only back up /home so if i ever had to restore i would have most settings saved ] Thanks for reading

Last edited by Halcyon22 (2010-11-12 12:27:05)

Board footer