You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-24 14:23:25

beyecixramd

Suggestions for a home multimedia network

I've got my Arch box in the bedroom, with a 1'5 TB HDD, which is were i store ALL my music and films, and photos.

(That machine is connected to the router, which has direct access to the Internet)

I've got another computer, in the living room. Also an Arch box. I want to install a media center in order to share my music, videos and photos over the network, and have a 10-foot interface so that me, my mom and other people are able to use it easily (I was thinking about XBMC, or Elisa, maybe Boxee, don't know).

(This machine in the living room, is connected to a switch, which receives Internet over its WAN port, from the main router)

So basically, if I want to connect my living room's PC with my bedroom's PC, the machine asks the switch, which asks the router, which asks the bedroom's machine.

I can't get it working by myself, and I'd like some help. These are my questions:

1 - What protocol should I use to share data? SMB?
2 - What media center should I install (I want one that is, obviously, compatible with the network sharing protocol)
3 - How can I get this working? (Note that the router has a DHCP pool, and the switch has its own DHCP pool aswell. The router's is 192.168.1.x, the switch's is 192.168.2.x)

[I have the media center question done, I'd install XBMC. But in case someone suggests something better, I'd like to know]

Thank you all smile

#2 2010-11-24 15:01:26

beyecixramd

Re: Suggestions for a home multimedia network

I made a "map" of my network.

schematics.jpg

#3 2010-11-24 15:27:32

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Suggestions for a home multimedia network

Try xbmc, it is very good.  Use samba for shares, easy to setup and stable.  That's about it!

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer