You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-28 23:53:47

MrKsoft

Why such poor performance?

Hi.  New Arch Linux user here, but not new to Linux (I'm no expert though, I've merely tinkered with it here and there over the past 7 years or so)

I have this old laptop that I've installed Arch on in order to give it some new life.  While it's old, it's not exactly ancient either, and it's a system on which I thought Linux would run well on, at least for modest web surfing/paper writing and the likes.

Dell Inspiron 8200
Pentium 4 1.6ghz
1 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce4 Go 440 graphics (64MB) -- using Nvidia 96xx driver, because based on what I read it seems open-source 3D drivers aren't usable/stable yet
Using XFCE4 for a desktop environment.

I'm having an issue with performance on the system.  I check with top and it shows Xorg using about 20% of the processor idle.  That goes up when I'm moving windows or if I make top refresh faster than the default.  It seems like pretty much anything having to due with X redrawing hammers the CPU.  The biggest offender would be AbiWord.  I was working on a document and scrolling takes the CPU usage all the way to 100%.  I thought it might be compositing, so I turned it off and performance is even worse.  Xorg uses about 30% CPU idle and there is about a 2 second delay when I try to minimize/maximize a window.  I have no idea why it would actually run better with the compositing on.  Of course, the performance with compositing isn't impressive either.

Also, although this may be expected since general 2D performance seems bad... 3D/OpenGL performance is terrible.  I installed a few games and they run like crap.  For instance, SuperTux runs at about half speed at best.  I am almost certain that it isn't that the computer's too weak for it, because I remember running it a few years ago on my Pentium II/450.  I even tried some games in WINE and they lag as well (I know WINE imposes a bit of a performance penalty but these games never really pushed the CPU too badly under Windows XP)

I'm not sure if I misconfigured something or if this laptop just hates me.  Any suggestions?

EDIT 4/1/2011 - I'm not bumping this thread because of its age, but if any searchers in the future come across this, I'd like to note that I discovered this issue is not linux-related.  My laptop has a faulty heat sensor that is underclocking the processor to about the equivalent of a 233mhz Pentium when the temperature rises just a tiny bit.  However when it does this the operating system will still report that it is running at the full 1.6ghz, as it's basically just overheating protection that is kicking in.  The system thinks that it is going to catch fire or something and freaks out.  It is apparently a common flaw with these machines as they age.  I am able to maintain decent performance by keeping the temperature low (of course this means running the fans all the time on low as a minimum, but I'm finally replacing this in a few months so I am not concerned about its well-being)  If it does underclock the processor for some reason, pressing Fn+Z will temporarily return it to the original speed and it should stay there providing the temperature doesn't rise again.

Last edited by MrKsoft (2011-04-01 18:00:05)

#2 2010-11-29 00:34:33

karol
Archivist

Re: Why such poor performance?

Nvidia GeForce4 Go 440 graphics (64MB) is old and xfce isn't super-light (anymore) either.

Which version of X are you using?
Have you tried the nouveau driver? For Starcraft under Wine it gives me no lag, and the nvidia drivers do.

Last edited by karol (2010-11-29 00:37:42)

#3 2010-11-29 00:52:26

MrKsoft

Using X.Org 1.9.2, which I believe is the latest version.
While I am quite aware that the GF4 Go is old, I figured it would at least be passable for normal use.  Same with XFCE...  I've run a very usable Ubuntu/GNOME/Compiz based system on my P2/450, 320MB RAM, with a Radeon 7500 before, and that's even older hardware, with bulkier software on top of it.

I haven't tried nouveau, because I was under the impression that it didn't have any sort of OpenGL support yet, except for the experimental Gallium3D which is apparently extremely unstable and slow.  Is this true or does that just apply to newer cards?

Last edited by MrKsoft (2010-11-29 00:53:11)

#4 2010-11-29 00:59:06

karol
Archivist

With nouveau the 3d does suck but if the game is 2d it may run smoother.

I really can't speak for the usability / performance of AbiWord or DEs because I never really used them for an extended period of time.

Ubuntu uses many patches so it may boot faster and be more responsive - try it out and compare with Arch.

#5 2010-11-29 01:57:36

lagagnon
Website

MrKsoft wrote:

I've run a very usable Ubuntu/GNOME/Compiz based system on my P2/450, 320MB RAM, with a Radeon 7500 before, and that's even older hardware, with bulkier software on top of it.

I'm sorry but I find that very hard to believe. I work with older computers all the time - I volunteer with a charity that gets donated computers and we install either Puppy or Ubuntu on them, depending on vintage. On a P450 with only 320MB almost any machine of that vintage will run like a dog with Ubuntu and Compiz would be a no go. It would be using the swap partition all the time and the graphics will be pretty slow going.

To start helping you diagnose your problems please reboot your computer and before you start loading software show us the output to "ps aux", "free", "df -h", "lspci" and "lsmod" so we can check your system basics. You could paste all those over to pastebin.ca if you wish.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#6 2010-11-29 03:18:16

MrKsoft

lagagnon wrote:
MrKsoft wrote:

I've run a very usable Ubuntu/GNOME/Compiz based system on my P2/450, 320MB RAM, with a Radeon 7500 before, and that's even older hardware, with bulkier software on top of it.

I'm sorry but I find that very hard to believe. I work with older computers all the time - I volunteer with a charity that gets donated computers and we install either Puppy or Ubuntu on them, depending on vintage. On a P450 with only 320MB almost any machine of that vintage will run like a dog with Ubuntu and Compiz would be a no go. It would be using the swap partition all the time and the graphics will be pretty slow going.

Hey, believe it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXwGMf141VQ
Of course, this was three years ago.  Probably wouldn't go so well now.

To start helping you diagnose your problems please reboot your computer and before you start loading software show us the output to "ps aux", "free", "df -h", "lspci" and "lsmod" so we can check your system basics. You could paste all those over to pastebin.ca if you wish.

Here's everything over at pastebin: http://pastebin.ca/2005110

#7 2010-11-29 16:36:40

lagagnon
Website

I don't see anything amiss with your basic setup. The only thing I can suggest is you try a different nVidia driver version for that older chip, such as 173 perhaps?

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

Board footer