You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-03 11:46:47

Archie_Enthusiasm

How to create a partition using the free space of an existing[SOLVED]

Hi Guys,

Since I could not install fifa 09 using wine on linux, I need to create a partition where I can install windows first in order to install fifa 09 on it. How can I create a partition using the rest free space of my , for example, /home partition?How can I do it in a secure way (meaning without doing something to my existing archlinux installation files and system files) ?

Thanks.

Please see this post:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=109402

Last edited by Archie_Enthusiasm (2010-12-08 19:23:46)

#2 2010-12-03 12:52:14

DSpider

Re: How to create a partition using the free space of an existing[SOLVED]

Use Parted Magic. But you *should* backup any important files just in case, regardless of method you use. You never know. Someone could unplug your computer, a power surge might happen, etc. A cousin of mine actually did something similar while I was gaming, the extension cord has a red button which he "accidentally" pressed. I would've cracked his skull had he done it while resizing a partition.

Anyway, the partitioning scheme should be the first thing you do when you decide go this route (dual booting). I remember about a year ago I forced myself to use Linux by formatting the entire drive to ext4, except for the 2 GB + 20 GB ntfs partitions. It was what kick-started me on this path. Here's my partitioning scheme for both computers, maybe you'll get an idea and do something similar:

Older computer:

2 GB ntfs - MicroXP
8 GB ext4 - Arch Linux + Home dir (to keep the dot files organized in one place)
20 GB ntfs - games partition
Rest is for media, formatted as ext3 with inode 128 (so it can be loaded as Read-Only in Windows too via Ext2fsd so they won't be affected in case of a virus infection)

New computer:

20 GB Windows 7
10 GB Arch Linux + home dir
50 GB games partition
Rest of the space is ext4 mounted to /media

Note that they're all primary partitions for remembering easier (sda1, sda2, sda3, sda4) instead of a combination of primary and extended which would probably look like sda1, sda5, sda6, sda7, etc.

Last edited by DSpider (2010-12-03 13:02:26)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2010-12-03 14:33:13

karol
Archivist

Re: How to create a partition using the free space of an existing[SOLVED]

You shrink your existing partition and create a new one out of the unoccupied space.
Try http://redobackup.org/ - small and easy to use.

Board footer