You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-30 16:06:24

Zolas

Font rendering

Setting up Arch on my new laptop I've run into a kind of annoying problem. In OpenOffice, some of my fonts have some strange colors along their borders. I have read the Font Configuration wiki article and it seems this issue could be related to subpixel rendering. Following the instructions in the article, I've tried adding subpixel rendering but it has no effect what so ever on my problem. I haven't previously had this problem on my other computer also running Arch and using the same font so I haven't really given it much thought until now. To be quite honest, I find the various patches and possible settings a bit confusing, so I was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion on how to solve this issue with the strange colors on the font borders and perhaps point me to some relevant information in this regard?

Thanks.

#2 2010-11-30 16:28:32

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: Font rendering

OpenOffice doesn't follow fontconfig settings, but it will follow Xresources.

I'm not sure exactly what you want, but if you want the best looking fonts in everything, just use freetype2-infinality, the infinality local.conf, and use this as .Xresources (and make sure it loads with xrdb):

! fonts
Xft.autohint:               0
Xft.lcdfilter:              lcddefault
Xft.hintstyle:              hintfull
Xft.hinting:                1
Xft.antialias:              1
Xft.dpi:                    96 ! change this to your DPI
Xft.rgba:                   rgb

The font configuration has links to the aur package and config.

Last edited by thestinger (2010-11-30 16:31:43)

#3 2010-12-01 10:52:39

Zolas

Great! Thanks for your reply. To begin with, I simply added the information you suggested in the .Xresources and this actually seemed to minimize the problem of the colors around the fonts. I've subsequently installed the infinality package as you described and as explained in the wiki article. I have one question, though, with respect to this package. Will I only get the benefits of it if I use the local.conf file supplied on the infinality-blog or is simply replacing the arch freetype2 package with the infinality one sufficient if I don't mind not having all infinality's font replacements?

#4 2010-12-01 17:30:23

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

The configuration file is important because it sets the default options (rgb subpixel, lcddefault filter, etc.) and then uses autohinting with hintslight for fonts with bad hinting instructions, and full normal hinting for the good ones. You can strip out everything else.

If you remove the preferred and default fonts from the file, your fonts won't all be changed anymore.

Most of the replacements actually just replace fonts that are clones of each other with the version that renders the best, but you can just delete them.

#5 2010-12-02 22:31:51

Zolas

Excellent! Thank you for your reply - it looks great :-)

Cheers!

#6 2010-12-15 01:02:10

sportscliche

I read in another thread that a good approach is to install the ubuntu patched packages and then install infinality.  When I attempt to install infinality with pacman it flags the following conflicts:

resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: freetype2-infinality and freetype2-ubuntu are in conflict (freetype2). Remove freetype2-ubuntu? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: fontconfig-ubuntu: requires freetype2-ubuntu>=2.3.11
:: libxft-ubuntu: requires freetype2-ubuntu

Is the correct procedure to revert to the unpatched packages as described in the Font Configuration wiki and then install infinality?  Forget about the ubuntu patched fonts?

Last edited by sportscliche (2010-12-15 09:00:48)

#7 2010-12-15 01:11:47

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

Just use freetype2-infinality and optionally libxft-lcd if you have xft apps like urxvt.

fontconfig-ubuntu just adds config files that the infinality local.conf will override

libxft-ubuntu and libxft-lcd are basically the same thing so use either one (they give xft apps lcd filtering)

cairo-ubuntu has a useful patch (respect fontconfig) so you might want to keep that, just use pacman -Ud to ignore dependency checks

Last edited by thestinger (2010-12-15 01:12:26)

Board footer