You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-13 01:31:59

unilx

Installing 32 bit Nvidia Drivers on a x86_64

I just bought a GTX 480 and im running a x86_64 system,just wanted to know if this is the driver im supposed to install

x86_64 Multilib lib32-nvidia-utils 260.19.21-1 NVIDIA drivers utilities and libraries. (32-bit)

or should i get it from the nvidia site.THX

#2 2010-12-13 01:57:53

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: Installing 32 bit Nvidia Drivers on a x86_64

Make sure you have nvidia and nvidia-utils installed, then install that (the 32 bit rendering library). You only need that 32bit lib for running 32 bit programs, like win32 games in wine.

#3 2010-12-13 04:37:10

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

It must also exactly match your nvidia-utils package version. For example if you're using nvidia-utils-beta from the AUR, use lib32-nvidia-utils-beta

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2010-12-13 11:50:51

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

unilx wrote:

I just bought a GTX 480 and im running a x86_64 system,just wanted to know if this is the driver im supposed to install

x86_64 Multilib lib32-nvidia-utils 260.19.21-1 NVIDIA drivers utilities and libraries. (32-bit)

Never ever install drivers directly from nvidia.com
Always use makepkg/pacman.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#5 2010-12-13 15:00:20

broch
Banned

Mr.Elendig wrote:
unilx wrote:

Never ever install drivers directly from nvidia.com
Always use makepkg/pacman.

These are original blobs. It does not matter from where (nvidia or Arch) in fact less issues with nvidia than with split packages from Arch repositories.
All this "repository only" or else (supposedly system will crash and pacman will get crazy or so) is ridiculous.

#6 2010-12-13 19:03:32

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

broch wrote:

These are original blobs. It does not matter from where (nvidia or Arch) in fact less issues with nvidia than with split packages from Arch repositories.
All this "repository only" or else (supposedly system will crash and pacman will get crazy or so) is ridiculous.

You have no idea how many times I've seen people with troubles because they didn't install them using pacman. Specially when upgrading/downgrading in combination with 32bit libs. I've seen version conflicts and broken copies so many times that it's not even funny.

There is absolutly no sane reason not to use makepkg/pacman.

Package managers exist for a bloody good reason. Without them system maintenance usually becomes hell really fast.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#7 2010-12-13 19:05:58

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

The nvidia blob conflicts with the open-source graphics stack (libgl) so there's another reason to use pacman.

Also... why install and update software manually? Are you really going to check the nvidia site all the time for new updates to the driver? Might as well use LFS instead of Arch if you plan on doing that.

Last edited by thestinger (2010-12-15 01:30:02)

#8 2010-12-15 01:22:31

broch
Banned

thestinger wrote:

The nvidia blob conflicts with the open-source graphics stack (libgl) so there's another reason to use pacmang.

Also... why install and update software manually? Are you really going to check the nvidia site all the time for new updates to the driver? Might as well use LFS instead of Arch if you plan on doing that.

part 1) probably my system does not know about this issue,
part 2) why would I check for each new version of nvidia? looks like you are one of fresh linux users that get excited by any new update irrelevant of real value.

You have no idea how many times I've seen people with troubles because they didn't install them using pacman

no more than I have seen users with problems that use pacman only.

Last edited by broch (2010-12-15 01:23:24)

#9 2010-12-15 01:29:09

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

broch wrote:
thestinger wrote:

The nvidia blob conflicts with the open-source graphics stack (libgl) so there's another reason to use pacmang.

part 1) probably my system does not know about this issue,
part 2) why would I check for each new version of nvidia? looks like you are one of fresh linux users that get excited by any new update irrelevant of real value.

You have no idea how many times I've seen people with troubles because they didn't install them using pacman

no more than I have seen users with problems that use pacman only.

How about an update that stops the driver from melting your video card? The nvidia drivers had that issue at one point (fan control broken), and if you were using the driver from the arch repos, you got downgraded to the safe version when you upgraded with pacman. It's also possible an exploit could be discovered in the driver.

Last edited by thestinger (2010-12-15 01:34:41)

#10 2010-12-15 02:29:01

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

@broch and thestinger, please keep this discussion off this thread. The OP asked for help on a subject, and sufficient help has been given. No need to add worthless arguments.

@broch, please remember that not every user is a long-time expert sysadmin. Pacman is there for a reason, and only those who know what they're doing should maintain their systems without it. Those who know what they're doing do not need your advise, obviously. So advising courses of action which require the users to be as knowledgeable as you is not really being helpful.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#11 2010-12-15 02:56:14

Allan
Pacman
Website

[OT]

ngoonee wrote:

Pacman is there for a reason, and only those who know what they're doing should maintain their systems without it.

And those that really, really know what they are doing use pacman...

Knowledge level   ->    Package management
Low  ->  pacman
Medium   ->  manual
High   ->  pacman

tongue
[/OT]

Board footer