You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-16 18:52:56

Ben9250
Website

Fonts and Infinality

This is not so much of an issue as more a query to test I understand this correctly. Basically I installed the ubuntu patch fonts to get what I felt might be more attractive fonts, but it turned out too blurry for my liking, moreso than actual Ubuntu. Then I read a recommendation for Infinality and installed it instead and I do agree it's much better. Had a read through the wiki, because althouhg I'm largely happy theres a few things like the font in emacs or open office are a bit more blurred than I'd like, additionally I'm seeing a tad bit of colour at the edges of my mostly white fonts, mostly a slight bit of red. Now looking at infinality, it strikes me most of the configuration goes on in the infinality settings file in the /etc/profile.d directory, because the font.conf and .Xdefaults valies are given and you are told to use them with infinality. So to get a slightly more sharper font with a bit less of this colour on the white I'm guessing that the INFINALITY_FT_FILTER_PARAMS, and maybe gamma and boldening settings are what I want to look into - currently everything is default.

It really is only a minor annoyance, it's not stopping me from working or enjoying my system, just an aspect of configuring my system I haven't done yet and is new territory.

Cheers,
Ben.

[EDIT] Aliasing (just read the term meaning on wikipedia) might also be something I want to look at because of blurring and colours distortion, although I'm guessing this is handled elsewhere than infinality settings.

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-12-16 19:42:47

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: Fonts and Infinality

To get rid of the color fringing, you might want to try disabling sub-pixel hinting (rgba).

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2010-12-16 19:48:02

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

Ben9250 wrote:

This is not so much of an issue as more a query to test I understand this correctly. Basically I installed the ubuntu patch fonts to get what I felt might be more attractive fonts, but it turned out too blurry for my liking, moreso than actual Ubuntu. Then I read a recommendation for Infinality and installed it instead and I do agree it's much better. Had a read through the wiki, because althouhg I'm largely happy theres a few things like the font in emacs or open office are a bit more blurred than I'd like, additionally I'm seeing a tad bit of colour at the edges of my mostly white fonts, mostly a slight bit of red. Now looking at infinality, it strikes me most of the configuration goes on in the infinality settings file in the /etc/profile.d directory, because the font.conf and .Xdefaults valies are given and you are told to use them with infinality. So to get a slightly more sharper font with a bit less of this colour on the white I'm guessing that the INFINALITY_FT_FILTER_PARAMS, and maybe gamma and boldening settings are what I want to look into - currently everything is default.

It really is only a minor annoyance, it's not stopping me from working or enjoying my system, just an aspect of configuring my system I haven't done yet and is new territory.

Cheers,
Ben.

[EDIT] Aliasing (just read the term meaning on wikipedia) might also be something I want to look at because of blurring and colours distortion, although I'm guessing this is handled elsewhere than infinality settings.

You're right that INFINALITY_FT_FILTER_PARAMS is what you want to tweak to get smoother or sharper LCD filtering. You probably still want subpixel rendering and antialiasing enabled. Just try out the different LCD filter examples there, the default one is very smoothed/blurry.

Last edited by thestinger (2010-12-16 19:48:10)

#4 2010-12-17 00:57:40

Ben9250
Website

litemotiv wrote:

To get rid of the color fringing, you might want to try disabling sub-pixel hinting (rgba).

Is that option in the .Xresources file? I 'think' it's either that or the autohinting at the bottom of the infinality script.

Xft.autohint: 0
Xft.lcdfilter:  lcddefault
Xft.hintstyle:  hintfull
Xft.hinting: 1
Xft.antialias: 1
Xft.rgba: rgb <-----------
Xft.dpi: 96

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-12-17 01:00:28)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#5 2010-12-17 03:31:23

brebs

litemotiv wrote:

That's overkill. Better to experiment with the LCD settings.

Here's 8 sets of FIR values to try.

#6 2010-12-19 00:18:34

Ben9250
Website

Had a fiddle with the FIR values, I think I prefer the sharpest one. Although I still have this slight cololur issue. It's a bit more blurred and more of an issue with openoffice. Although I think I remember seeing somewhere that some programs, possibly including Open Office are sepearate from this.

- H. G. Wells

Board footer