You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-20 18:50:37

raginaot

user friendly arch based distros?

Not looking for user smothering bloatedness though *cough*Ubuntu, but I would like a distro that is easily installed and comes preconfigured with things that a normal user would have to install anyway, like graphics/sound/input drivers and a desktop environment.

While I do love the minimalistic attitude of Arch, and pacman is just the most awesome package manager ever, but with my lack of know-how about linux systems I find myself unable to get any work done since I'm constantly tinkering around to keep things working.

Are there any Arch based distros that would make the setup progress less frustrating for a newbie like myself?

#2 2010-12-20 18:55:46

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: user friendly arch based distros?

Mr Green

#3 2010-12-20 18:58:30

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Also see: Arch Based Distributions (Active)

There are several threads about this on the forums, including the one Mr Green mentions above, closing this for duplication.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#4 2010-12-21 02:12:34

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

raginaot wrote:

Not looking for user smothering bloatedness though *cough*Ubuntu, but I would like a distro that is easily installed and comes preconfigured with things that a normal user would have to install anyway, like graphics/sound/input drivers and a desktop environment.

While I do love the minimalistic attitude of Arch, and pacman is just the most awesome package manager ever, but with my lack of know-how about linux systems I find myself unable to get any work done since I'm constantly tinkering around to keep things working.

Are there any Arch based distros that would make the setup progress less frustrating for a newbie like myself?

Just a note: preconfigured Arch is possibly the worst possible way to 'do' the distro. You WILL end up having to tinker around anyhow, and you'd have to do it without the prior knowledge that comes from actually having set up the various components yourself. Leading to much frustration, googling, and the posting of noob-like forum posts smile

And I don't find myself doing much tinkering to 'keep things working', what sort of things are you referring to?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer