You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-28 17:34:32

paldives

Wireless connection drops at random

I have a Aspire One netbook and I have pretty much everything set up I think but at lease once a day as Im moving around the house my connection will drop.  Wicd will say Im still connected but when I open it it says no avaiable networks.  I have tried to bring down wlan0 with "sudo ifconfig wlan0 down" and that seems to work fine but when I do "sudo ifconfig wlan0 up" I get this error "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Input/output error"  Any help would be appreciated I dont like having to constantly reboot to get my connection back.

#2 2010-12-30 07:53:07

livinglifeback

Re: Wireless connection drops at random

If i remember correctly the acer aspire one has an atheros card, assuming that's correct you should have madwifi installed.  Which module are you using ath_pci, ath5k or ath9k? Something to try would be black listing the ones you're not using to prevent a conflict.

#3 2010-12-30 10:32:36

brianhanna

You may want to kill wicd before you start manually controlling things.  You may be fighting against each other.

Since you're moving around the house when it happens, can you narrow it down to certain places where it happens most often? 

My guess is you're just not getting enough signal to keep the connection up.  That can be due to the walls or floors in the way, neighbors networks interfering, other electrical stuff causing RF interference, plain old distance, etc.  Most netbooks don't have great wireless antennas so that doesn't help either.

Let us know what you find and there may be a way to overcome it.

Last edited by brianhanna (2010-12-30 10:47:25)

#4 2010-12-30 14:55:51

Daniel_F

Yeah...  Look around for possible interference sources. Most common ones are microwave ovens and 2.4GHz cordless phones.

Board footer