You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-03 18:39:31

maninalift

partitions, installing , raw->no_fs and "Bad primary partition"

I have been using Archlinux with kde-mod, installed with the Chakra live-cds for some time on a couple of different machines. You may be aware Chakra has now moved away from archlinux to roll it's own distro so this is my first attempt to install "The Arch Way".

I have an HP dv6t-2000 laptop, preinstalled with Windows 7, though I'm really fed-up with Windows at this point I do want to keep it installed on the machine.

The setup of the hard drive is currently (as shown in the Windows7 partition utility):

SYSTEM       NTFS      199MB  (System, Active, Primary Partition)
C:                  NTFS       394.12GB (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
RECOVERY (D:) NTFS     12.85GB   (Primary Partition)

(there used to be a partition titled HP_TOOLS which I deleted a while ago (that may have been a mistake, I don't think I backed it up, I think it was last time I got really pissed off with windows and wanted to install Linux immediately)

What I have trid doing, starting with the configuration as above it:

> using the windows utility to shrink the C: partition to make space
> booting into gparted live CD
    > creating an extended partition
    > creating boot (ext2), root (ext4), home (ext4) and swap partitions within this
> booting the archlinux 64 bit netinstall CD
    > when I get to Prepare Hard drive - manually configure I see something like:

/dev/sda  raw->no_fs
/dev/sda1  raw->no_fs
/dev/sda2  raw->no_fs
/dev/sda3  raw->no_fs

> If  I go to manually partition hard drive for sda I get the message
FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 2: Partition ends in the final partial cylinder

At this point I'm getting tired and liable to do something reckless (like when I deleted the HP_TOOLS partition), I I thought I better stop, take a breather and ask some people with more experience.

---------------------------
I'm sorry If I am short on details here, as I say I've spent a bit too long trying to sort this out and got tired and confused, I will fill in any details that are asked for, thank you for reading.

#2 2011-01-03 18:59:48

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: partitions, installing , raw->no_fs and "Bad primary partition"

`/dev/sda1  raw->no_fs` means "you didn't tell me what's on here yet", the installer should do some autodetection but this is not implemented yet.  so don't worry about this, just leave them alone.
the other one, not sure

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#3 2011-01-03 20:12:10

maninalift

Re: partitions, installing , raw->no_fs and "Bad primary partition"

thanks, Dieter@be, that is reassuring.

Will all of the partitions be listed in disk order?

Board footer