You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-05 06:41:10

Oblitus

Any minimal tips for a Laptop 40GB MEM 192MB RAM

Hi guys, does anyone have any tips on how I should partition this old laptop? I can't seem to make up my mind on how to partition this system after creating a 100mb /boot. 1024 block /Swap? What file system should I use? Do I really need to separate root and /home? Should I install Arch on it or something smaller? Should I install DWM, Awsome or could I afford a non-tiling manager? How newb friendly could I configure this OS for a family member?

Sorry for the cluttered questions, I just think a bunch of new people would be asking the same thing.

Last edited by Oblitus (2011-01-05 06:50:43)

#2 2011-01-05 07:43:38

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Any minimal tips for a Laptop 40GB MEM 192MB RAM

With 40GB of "MEM", it would make a good database server or virtualization host big_smile

Oblitus wrote:

Hi guys, does anyone have any tips on how I should partition this old laptop?

What's it going to be used for? Without knowing that, I'd guess something like:
4gb - /
512mb swap
Whatever is left for /home

Or, Use LVM wink

#3 2011-01-05 07:47:32

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Oblitus wrote:

Sorry for the cluttered questions, I just think a bunch of new people would be asking the same thing.

What are we supposed to make of this? If you want stuff like this to be documented for new users, add it to the wiki; it sounds like you have a clue of what to do, yet can't decide. Don't disguise your questions as a service to the community, we have tons of topics like that reiterating the same type of questions over and over; do some effort, use the search function, and you'll find plenty of suggestions.

In the end, it's your hardware, you decide how it runs. Tiling vs floating is a totally irrelevant discussion here; unless you are thinking about testing KDE and then DWM, but then you shouldn't be here. And 40 GB is plenty of space to put just any distro on, and I think you know as well every regular distro will be tight with 192 MB RAM. There are better options out there if you don't want to use swap all the time, yet still want to keep some kind of GUI running.

I suggest you check the minimum requirements for the installation images as well (lest you use an older one). And did I mention you should put in some effort?

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2011-01-05 08:06:37

Oblitus

I did put some effort in searching for partition scheme for a old laptop but the last post in here was in 2004 and the threads linking to this forum were dead tongue.

Last edited by Oblitus (2011-01-05 08:07:03)

#5 2011-01-05 08:06:59

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

This is Arch Linux, users are expected to show initiative and at least attempt to solve their issues rather than dumping them on the forum at large. I will close this topic to avoid more unnecessary chatter on such wide-ranging topics as posted in the OP.

To the OP, if you should have specific questions please feel free to post them after having done your own research and experimentation.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer