You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-19 20:29:59

un_ospito

Network management methods

I have a problem with choosing the most suitable network management method in Arch for my laptop. The question itself may seem silly, but after reading some articles in ArchWiki I got a bit confused.

What I need is to be able to connect and disconnect reasonably quickly to different wireless networks (manually) and to be able to connect automatically to my home network during startup. KDE applets are welcome, but not necessary. As far as ethernet network card is concerned, I'd like it to connect automatically when the cable is plugged in.

Which method would be the most efficient solution (NetworkManager, netcfg, other)?

#2 2011-01-19 20:33:31

skunktrader

Re: Network management methods

try wicd

#3 2011-01-19 20:53:41

lucke

There are three main choices: NetworkManager, wicd and netcfg. All of them should work for you, but NM and wicd seem a better fit for KDE. Of those two, NM seems to have more features (e.g. connecting with usb modems/phones), but it not always wanted to play nice with my hardware, while wicd always did. With NM, you can use gnomish nm-applet (network-manager-applet package), which is most featureful and stable, or you can try using knetworkmanager or NM applet from the kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement package - those seem to be somewhat buggy. With wicd, you can use wicd-client-kde from AUR.

#4 2011-01-19 22:59:26

kinhodder
Website

I really like the combination of netcfg and wifi-select - you get automatic connection when at home, and can pick from available networks when out and about. Not much in the way of eye-candy, but reliable.

Board footer