You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-03 22:34:55

FrozenCow

IRC URI Handler

I'm running Openbox and I have trouble setting up a URI-handler for xchat with irc://. Clicking on irc links in chromium shows the 'launch application' dialog, but after clicking launch it does nothing.
I've also tried to use xdg-open, gvfs-open, gnome-open and exo-open, but they all give the same error:

The specified location is not supported.

It seems it should work 'out-of-the-box' since xchat contains a schema file '/usr/share/gconf/schemas/xchat-gnome.schemas' in which it refers to '/schemas/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/irc/command'.
I tried to add the url-handler manually using gconftool (like some Ubuntu-users did: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= … stcount=6):

gconftool-2 --set --type=string /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/irc/command 'xchat "%s"'
gconftool-2 --set --type=bool /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/irc/enabled true
gconftool-2 --set --type=bool /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/irc/need-terminal false

Next I saw other applications adding a MimeType entry to their .desktop file, so I also tried that in /usr/share/applications/xchat.desktop:

MimeType=x-scheme-handler/irc;

and ran update-desktop-database after that.

All of this did not work and the error message of all of the mentioned *-open commands are still the same. I have no clue what to try next. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

#2 2011-02-04 01:09:08

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: IRC URI Handler

Try mimeo.
It should be as simple as adding the following section to mimeo.conf:

/usr/bin/xchat -e --url=%u
  ^irc://

EDIT: You may need to change the arguments passed to xchat. See "xchat --help" and the Exec key field codes.

Last edited by Xyne (2011-02-04 01:14:47)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2011-02-04 11:10:49

FrozenCow

Thanks! After also installing 'xdg-utils-mimeo' it worked. Though I'm still confused why xdg-open/gnome-open is so hard to configure that it seems impossible to do so...
Anyway, I'll be adding some more url-handlers, thanks again!

#4 2011-09-23 13:58:37

edke

Hi guys.

Great thread, I was looking for same issues with chromium launching custom protocols and then xdg_open -> gvfs-open: error opening location: The specified location is not supported.

It looked like mimeo is solution for me, but just not yet. I created config in ~/.config/mimeo.conf:

/home/kraken/bin/run-editor.php %u
  ^editor://

It works from mimeo:

mimeo editor:///home/kraken/.bashrc:3

But not from xdg-open:

xdg-open editor:///home/kraken/.bashrc:3
gvfs-open: editor:///home/kraken/.bashrc:3: error opening location: The specified location is not supported

I have installed:
aur/mimeo 2011.06.23.2-1 [installed]
aur/xdg-utils-mimeo 1.1.0rc1-2 [installed]

and still no go. Any hints ? Thank you.

#5 2011-09-23 14:59:31

xduugu

Apparently, you are using gnome, that's why gvfs-open is used instead of mimeo. Clearing GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID for xdg-open might work and if not, comment out the line "detectDE" in xdg-open.

GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID= xdg-open editor:///home/kraken/.bashrc:3

#6 2011-09-23 15:13:42

edke

xduugu wrote:

Apparently, you are using gnome, that's why gvfs-open is used instead of mimeo. Clearing GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID for xdg-open might work and if not, comment out the line "detectDE" in xdg-open.

GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID= xdg-open editor:///home/kraken/.bashrc:3

Commenting out detectDE worked !! Thank you smile

Board footer