You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-11 10:38:54

weeqwewqqwe

Installing Arch using larch-8 from LiveCD to HD

Hi there,
as you can see from the subject, my problem is so, so easy... but really, I can't understand how to do it. What I supposed to do? Using larchin-archin? I can't find 'larchin' on my LiveCD, neither from terminal.
For the rest, my LiveCD distro works fine, really fine... I love it, I want it on my HD tongue I can do whatever you want, I can format the whole disk, install arch and then copy all my folders from the CD, I really don't know: I read the documentation, I read topics on this forum... sorry for the newbieness of that question

Thank you in advance

#2 2011-02-11 12:53:51

hellnest
Website

Re: Installing Arch using larch-8 from LiveCD to HD

Maybe you should read more carefully and slowly

Installation to hard disk
The larch hard-disk installer [b]larchin[/b] may be used to install Arch Linux to hard disk (or similar). ***+ Or, at least it will be possible to use it when I have updated (rewritten?) it for larch-8. -*** [b]larchin deals with partitioning and formatting of hard drives, placing Arch Linux (primarily a copy of the live system on which it is running) on the newly formatted partitions, and installation of a bootloader.[/b]

As mentioned above the main approach to Arch installation covered by larchin is to copy the contents of the live system to a hard drive. Those (few) bits peculiar to the needs of a live system are removed and the result is a completely normal Arch Linux installation. I should perhaps mention the file 'delarch' in the 'larch/data' directory on the boot medium). This script (if it exists) is run at the end of the installation and allows custom installation actions to be performed (the main reason for its existence is to allow features of the live system to be removed, because they would be out of place in a normal installation).

'Live' installation to hard disk
This is sometimes called a 'frugal' install and means that the system as it is (compressed, running in an aufs file-system) on the USB-stick or CD is installed as a live system to a hard-drive partition. This might be useful if you want to run from a flash device, for example, as it minimizes write operations to the device (normal access is read only). This is actually no different from copying a larch system to a USB-stick, so the normal copying procedure can be used.

You should see the config inside your profiles, also the overlay options before you can do an install to HDD.

roll Snapping my own life roll
hmmgithubhmm
coolMyBlogcool

Board footer