You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-08 15:36:51

jtkiv

[SOLVED]ish hello/nvidia/OpenGL/ and now AGP/ACPI

well, here's another convert to archery.  sure you haven't heard that one before.

got arch up over the weekend, installed X, openbox, tint2, some applications - basically what it took to be able to do some schoolwork (junior).

so now, with everything pretty stable, im looking for eye-candy smile  i've seen some nice openbox/panel configurations, but i'm also interested in compiz, with all the fancy fancy.

moving on.

i'm using a nvidia fx5500, currently also using the nvidia driver.  when ubuntu 10.x came along i ran into terrible graphical issues.  after muddling through them like i do, i ended up with 2D working fine, 3D not.  i only needed 3D for a couple of games i played every so often (springrts/enemy territory), but it still was annoying not to be able to use those.  switched to arch, i'm using nvidia 173, everything seems fine and faster.  out of curiosity i ran "compiz-check" (i know its half-wrong), ended up with glxgears, glxinfo -- glxgears spins around a couple times then freezes, then screws with X (which i have to restart).  on 10.10, glxgears would run for about 10sec, freeze for about 20sec, repeat.  im not sure how to glean info from glxinfo...

after doing a lot of searching and trying to find relevant information, i see that nvidia173 is only partially compliant with newer X versions.

system Arch (x86_64), NVIDIA FX5500, 1GB ram, 150GB hdd, AMD Athlon 64+

questions are

1. if i want 3D, is the best option to downgrade? (which i would typically consider pointless)
2. if im going to be stuck with only 2D, would nouveau drivers be better than nvidia?
3. is nvidia and gallium3D a viable option?  (like i said, i can muddle through problems - but definitely not a talent...)
4. if no 3D, is openbox/tint2 the best option?  (don't really want a full DE) (this is mostly opinion...)

Last edited by jtkiv (2011-02-25 21:25:00)

#2 2011-02-08 17:11:40

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: [SOLVED]ish hello/nvidia/OpenGL/ and now AGP/ACPI

1. no, I doubt that downgrading would do anything except cause even more problems.
2. maybe

In regards to glxgears, forget about it. Even if it freezes, "real" 3d apps might work just fine.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2011-02-08 17:52:35

jtkiv

been messing around with some things today, tried to get "docky" but it fails, seems to be due to compositing.  AWN also doesn't work if i enable transparency. 

[Notify 12:48:23.162] Docky - Docky requires compositing to work properly. Please enable compositing and restart docky.
Exception in Gtk# callback delegate
  Note: Applications can use GLib.ExceptionManager.UnhandledException to handle the exception.
System.Exception: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service files
  at org.freedesktop.DBus.IBusProxy.StartServiceByName (System.String flags, UInt32 ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NDesk.DBus.Bus.StartServiceByName (System.String name, UInt32 flags) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NDesk.DBus.Bus.StartServiceByName (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Notifications.Global.get_DBusObject () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Notifications.Global.get_ServerInformation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Docky.Services.NotificationService.ServerIsNotifyOSD () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Docky.Services.NotificationService.Notify (System.String title, System.String message, System.String icon) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Docky.Services.Logging.LogBase.SendNote (System.String sender, System.String icon, System.String msg) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Docky.Services.Log.Notify (System.String title, System.String icon, System.String msg) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Docky.Services.Log.Notify (System.String msg) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Docky.Docky.<CheckComposite>m__38 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at GLib.Timeout+TimeoutProxy.Handler () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
   at GLib.ExceptionManager.RaiseUnhandledException(System.Exception e, Boolean is_terminal)
   at GLib.Timeout+TimeoutProxy.Handler()
   at Gtk.Application.gtk_main()
   at Gtk.Application.Run()
   at Docky.Docky.Main(System.String[] args)

all this seems to be OpenGL related.  im not quite knowledgeable in any of that.  would nouveau + Gallium be worth a try?  or stick with 2D?

Last edited by jtkiv (2011-02-08 17:52:59)

#4 2011-02-09 11:42:41

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

pacman -Q nvidia-173xx nvidia-173xx-utils libgl

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#5 2011-02-09 16:42:08

jtkiv

$ pacman -Q nvidia-173xx nvidia-173xx-utils libgl
nvidia-173xx 173.14.28-3
nvidia-173xx-utils 173.14.28-1
error: package "libgl" not found
$

libgl and nvidia-173xx-utils are in conflict...

$ pacman -S libgl
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: libgl and nvidia-173xx-utils are in conflict. Remove nvidia-173xx-utils? [y/N]
$

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=107861 -- but i've uninstalled nouveau and nouveau-dri.

xorg.conf (took out mouse/irrelevant)

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder62)  Wed Sep 29 10:21:38 PDT 2010

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 110.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 150.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

----

after some more digging, seems that nvidia-173xx-utils provides its own libgl.  is that right?  AWN claims "Screen isn't composited".

Last edited by jtkiv (2011-02-09 18:26:05)

#6 2011-02-10 03:08:22

jtkiv

fresh issues.  computer has been freezing -- windows first then cursor.  after waiting a while and hitting CTRL+ALT+F1 a couple of times, managed to get to tty1 where there was an unednding list of this error report

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to allocate 2d surface
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***

after a reboot it will go for about 2min then freeze, got this message once:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to allocate colorkey
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Error Recovery Failed ***

searches on the first one only bring up a 9 years old thread.  can't find much relevant.  any ideas???

#7 2011-02-11 19:34:38

jtkiv

found the nvidia-bug-report.sh tool -- found that "Initialized AGP GART" repeats till "EQ overflowing".

anyways, directly after the first one comes "Unable to connect ro the ACPI daemon..." - this from the nvidia README

Option "AcpidSocketPath" "string"
The NVIDIA X driver attempts to connect to the ACPI daemon (acpid) via a UNIX domain socket. The default path to this socket is "/var/run/acpid.socket". Set this option to specify an alternate path to acpid's socket. Default: "/var/run/acpid.socket".

cant seem to find acpid.socket.  i have acpid installed and in daemons array, but nvidia doesn't find it.  i tried to set it to /var/run/daemons/acpid" but that doesn't work.  im not sure if this has to do with any of the errors, but perhaps it does?  idk.

any ideas?

Last edited by jtkiv (2011-02-11 19:47:31)

Board footer