You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-02 15:10:47

smika

howto install different codecs

Hello,

I am a new Archlinux user. I used ubuntu for 5 years before, but with the new Unity I am looking for something different. I used the beginners guide for installing Archlinux and after the installation, I installed xorg and gnome without any problems. At this moment I try to install a lot of software, but I can't find a lot of these. Hopefully I will find them later, of on a different way. One of the packages are the codecs: w32codecs and libdvdcss.

I search on this forum how to install these packages, but I found different ways and that confused me.

1. Install this with pacman -S codecs libdvdcss
2. Install with AUR
3. These packages are not installable anymore, because the license.

Can someone please explain me how I can install these codecs? Meaby I find then also the reason why I can't find a lot of other software.

Thanks a lot,

Smika

#2 2011-03-02 15:16:19

JokerBoy

Re: howto install different codecs

i only use this ones tongue

pacman -S gstreamer0.10-{{bad,good,ugly,base}{,-plugins},ffmpeg libdvdcss

#3 2011-03-02 15:21:40

Gusar

You don't need to care about codecs, just install a player, it'll bring in all it needs itself. Unless it's a gstreamer-based player, then install the packages JokerBoy listed. Though pretty much everything should be covered by gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg. w32codecs is obsolete, unless you want to play some really obscure format. All the widely used ones are in ffmpeg.

#4 2011-03-02 16:26:30

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

smika wrote:

Hello,

I am a new Archlinux user. I used ubuntu for 5 years before, but with the new Unity I am looking for something different. I used the beginners guide for installing Archlinux and after the installation, I installed xorg and gnome without any problems. At this moment I try to install a lot of software, but I can't find a lot of these. Hopefully I will find them later, of on a different way. One of the packages are the codecs: w32codecs and libdvdcss.

I search on this forum how to install these packages, but I found different ways and that confused me.

1. Install this with pacman -S codecs libdvdcss
2. Install with AUR
3. These packages are not installable anymore, because the license.

Can someone please explain me how I can install these codecs? Meaby I find then also the reason why I can't find a lot of other software.

Thanks a lot,

Smika

The win32codecs are next to useless, specially on a 64bit box. Gstreamer and ffmpeg have support for nearly all formats without having to use the outdated buggy closed source codecs. libdvdcss for decrypting dvds on the other hand is quite nice to have.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2011-03-02 16:29:50)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#5 2011-03-03 01:17:18

smika

Thanks for the reply! Everything works fine now. I am very happy that I switched from ubuntu to archlinux!

Smika

Board footer