You are not logged in.

#26 2011-03-03 20:43:21

Stunts
Website

Re: [Solved] Gnome 2.32 "About me" problems

Ok, so I didn't quit yet. If you have it working, then so can I.
This means that this must be some sort of misconfiguration on my part.
I remember some time ago and update breaking evolution, and it forced me to move around my addressbooks in order to get it working properly again.
I made some research and came across this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=524028
About me seems to keep it's settings in evolution's addressbook. Since I've been moving my files around (and it was a long time ago and I can't remember exactly what I did back then), I'll ask for your help. Where in your home folder do you have files named "addressbook.db"?

locate addressbook.db
/home/francisco/.local/share/evolution/addressbook/addressbook.db
/home/francisco/.local/share/evolution/addressbook/addressbook.db.summary
/home/francisco/.local/share/evolution/addressbook/system/addressbook.db
/home/francisco/.local/share/evolution/addressbook/system/addressbook.db.summary

Is yours like this too? Or do you have another one somewhere else?
I have several other entries, but they all use my hostname and didn't seem relevant since the directories are the same as in the ones I posted.
Thanks in advance!

#27 2011-03-05 13:02:14

hoschi

I have recreated my complete adressbook after the upgrade from 2.30 to 2.32, caused by a ugly bug. After the upgrade Evolution hanged while opening an adressbook-entry.
I have now some new entrys in my adressbook, including the data from "Account Information".

The directory exists here, too. I contains only some files with my hostname.

#28 2011-03-06 00:13:57

Stunts
Website

OK, so it took me the whole day, but I managed to solve this.
Here's how:
Evolution had created a lot of entries in the contact list with my name on with. I think they were being spawned by Gnome-About-me, since most of them had my face icon and I don't think I had ever set that picture on evolution.
So I started deleting them. Deleting all at once, caused evolution not to be able to access the whole contact list, so, after restoring the backups, I deleted them one by one, to try to figure out which one was causing issues. (every time I deleted on entry, I used evolution --force-shutdown)
In the end, I managed to delete them all and everything was still working. (why it had to be done 1 by 1 is beyond me)
After this I ran gnome-about-me again. Once more, the name information was missing, but this spawned a new contact with my username in evolution's contact list. Editing this contact to include my full name finally did the trick. I have a full name in GDM and in gnome-about-me again.
I took the chance to clear a lot of cruft evolution has dumping on it's addressbook folder tough, so it was not a full waste.
I will enjoy this working for the next month or so as after that it's "hello gnome shell" and "goodbye gnome-about-me". But at least I feel good inside for having been able to figure this out.

Just one more thing. I created a new user and ran evolution and gnome-about-me in it's session, to verify which files were being created for my new user.
Hurray for the scientific method.

#29 2011-03-06 14:06:07

hoschi

Okay. So, we can take a look at the other 1000 bugs smile
webkit displays only flickering gif-animations, metacity&devilspie let disapear the panel if the user close a window, scrolling on a virtual-terminal after suspend-cycle is really slow with kernel 2.6.38 (maybe only raedeon specific)...

In the last two week I was faced with nearly every bug in GNU/Linux big_smile
Why great GNU? WHY!?

Step by Step - every bug will be scrunched!

Last edited by hoschi (2011-03-06 14:08:17)

Board footer