You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-11 20:29:40

Black Cat

[SOLVED] Reusing an "old" /home partition

Hi everyone

II want to install Arch in my laptop. I'm currently a Fedora user, but that's about to change big_smile

My doubt is: how can I install Arch, reusing an existing /home partition, without losing any data? I've went to "Manually Configure block devices, filesystems and mountpoints" and I've selected my /home partition, but it asks me what filesystem I want to use for it... Of course formatting it is the last thing I want to do, because I have all my files and personal stuff there.

I'm guessing I have to install Arch, without defining any /home partition and then defining it in /etc/fstab... Am I correct or is there any other way?

Thanks for your attention.

Last edited by Black Cat (2011-03-13 17:26:54)

ʇɐɔ ʞɔɐןq ǝɥʇ ǝɹɐʍǝq

#2 2011-03-11 20:51:34

ANOKNUSA

Re: [SOLVED] Reusing an "old" /home partition

Simply choose not to recreate the filesystem, and select the filesystem the partition is formatted to.  This info's used to create /etc/fstab after installation.  Of course, it's always a good idea to make backups of sensitive data before making major changes. smile

#3 2011-03-11 21:05:42

oliver

ANOKNUSA is correct.  When you tell the installer what f/s to use, that is what gets populated in /etc/fstab - it will only format it if you tell it to re-create the file-system.

I did the exact same thing recently... I followed these steps
1) booted off arch disk
2) mounted /home
3) renamed my home directory from oliver to oliver.OLD
4) umounted /home
5) when thru installer and once booted, created a new/empty 'oliver' user account
6) migrated the stuff I wanted from oliver.OLD to oliver

#4 2011-03-11 21:09:08

Black Cat

As simple as that? If I choose to not recreate the filesystem, I won't lose any information? The partition will not be formated? I just want to be sure about it, don't get me wrong wink

EDIT: I didn't saw oliver's post when I was writing this one, I'll install and I'll let you know how it went wink

Last edited by Black Cat (2011-03-11 21:14:22)

ʇɐɔ ʞɔɐןq ǝɥʇ ǝɹɐʍǝq

#5 2011-03-11 21:13:07

whatshisname

Like Anoknusa says, make a backup.

But since you're moving from Fedora to Arch, you may want to consider starting with a fresh, new home partition.  I've had old config files from previous distros screw with my new install.  It's easy enough to copy your documents over one folder at at a time to put your new stuff back in its proper place if you have a sane method for storing your docs.

If you use Firefox and Thunderbird, for ex., take a look at the name of the new profile directory after you install those 2 apps and copy your old profile into the new one.  That gives you all your Firefox settings and bookmarks back as well as your local folders in Thunderbird.

Follow the same principle for your other apps.  As you install them,  and it's a program that  you've done a lot of customization to, copy over the "config" files and replace them as you need them.

This will give you a lot "cleaner" system which is what you're trying to get with Arch anyway.

#6 2011-03-11 21:16:45

Black Cat

Yes, I do want a clean operating system!

And I guess I'll finally rearrange some files in my home, to make more organized smile

EDIT: It's installing, I did as you guys said and my data is perfectly safe in my home partition. Thanks for the help wink

Last edited by Black Cat (2011-03-11 21:39:14)

ʇɐɔ ʞɔɐןq ǝɥʇ ǝɹɐʍǝq

#7 2011-03-11 22:06:52

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

If you haven't already considered it or are doing it, backup your data so if you lose the entire disk, you can always restore them.  Backintime is one of the best diff-backup utils I have ever used.  It's also in the AUR.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer