You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-17 18:09:33

bubblewrap456

n/a

n/a

Last edited by bubblewrap456 (2014-10-27 10:41:30)

#2 2011-03-17 18:12:39

toad
Website

Re: n/a

1. That is due to your formatting and entirely distro independent.
2. That is KDE and entirely distro independent.

Having said that, there is no stopping you trying such KDE centred distros as openSuse, Kubuntu, Aptosid or Sabayon.

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#3 2011-03-17 18:14:59

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

1) Have you ever heard about logical partitions within extended partitions? Archlinux or any linux for that matter has no problems running from within extended partitions. Please research.
2) KDE works well with Arch for many users. Have you tried fixing whatever problems you've had? Checked error logs etc?

In any case, if you think Arch is not for you, then Ubuntu or Kubuntu might be a better alternative. Nobody can tell you what you will or will not like. Just use the distros and decide for yourself !!

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2011-03-17 19:28:13

bubblewrap456

n/a

Last edited by bubblewrap456 (2014-10-27 10:42:36)

#5 2011-03-17 19:35:12

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

bubblewrap456 wrote:

Thanks for the replies...

Toad - so are you saying that if i tried another KDE then i will probably have the same errors as i do with Arch.

If the problems are related to KDE then yes.

bubblewrap456 wrote:

I'll probably see if i can dual boot arch with windows 7 first before trying other distros. Thanks

You can. I have machine at home with the same setup.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2011-03-17 20:16:29

abarilla

Yes, the problems with the disk partitions will happen with any distro.  I'm assuming you have the 2 Windows partitions that Windows 7 sets up.  That means you either need to look into logical partitioning or simply setup two partitions like Ubuntu and some other distributions do, 1 for swap and 1 for /. 

As for KDE, I don't use KDE but with any distro the bugs you are encountering could either happen to already be fixed in another distro, haven't found their way their yet because the other distro is behind Arch or are already there as well.  If you really want to explore other KDE distros I would recommend OpenSUSE as that seems quite solid with KDE.  KDE under Fedora isn't that bad either, strangely enough.

Of course the Arch thing to do is work out those bugs so we can make this a better distro.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

#7 2011-03-17 22:42:43

KlavKalashj

Have you asked for help about your KDE problems? Make new threads for the problem and see if you can solve them first...

As for distros, just download a few of them and try them out live. Kubuntu seems solid to me, OpenSuse too, but a bit bloated for my taste. Maybe Chakra? Chakra has similar ideas as Arch, and is also a fork of Arch, so maybe you'll like it. But as I said, try them out live and see if you like them.

#8 2011-03-18 02:31:08

ANOKNUSA

The first thing to do is to take a look at ~/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc. Is you graphics card on that list?  If so, KWin may well be buggy no matter what distro you use.  There's a disparity between the development of the Xorg drivers and KWin that results in the drivers incorrectly reporting their capabilities to KWin for use with certain visual effects.  Short of halting KWin development (or a sudden up-tick in Xorg releases), this isn't likely to change.  Try the proprietary driver, if that's an option.  The other old stand-by is to check "Disable functionality checks"  under the "Advaced" tab in the Desktop Effects settings, and see if that works.

Of all the distros I tried using KDE before finding Arch, Suse was the best, probably because it has a history of being KDE-centric.  However, keeping up-to-date with it can be a little cumbersome, since it's developed by a company aiming at the Office-Space market.  Kubuntu never felt right; of all the other distros I tried using KDE with, it was the clunkiest.  Arch, however, is the best I've found so far, because of its transparency and the ability to install the KDE-SDK in bits rather than large hunks.  Chances are, if you're having a problem specifically with KDE, then it's probable the only reason you won't experience it with another distro is because they patched it (which the Arch packagers don't.).  If you can't get ahold of the patch they use because it happens to be proprietary, then what's the point?  I personally won't use a distro run by devs that take FOSS code and modify it to their own ends. But you're not likely to run into that anyway; see if you can find specifics on your problem.  Otherwise, if you must use something else, I recommend Suse--although it happens to be the near-opposite to Arch in terms of philosophy ("after-the-fact" release schedule; tedious YAST gui system for setup).

Board footer