You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-28 16:13:28

Bra1n0v3rfl0w

[Give up...for now] Printing with lpr

Hi all,

Is there a way to print without CUPS? I mean in BSD style with lpr? I didn't found anything else on wiki and on forum except CUPS related pages.

Thanks, Mat.

Today 10th of may 2011:
I changed the title, cause i give up with LPRng. Still using CUPS. Maybe in futer i'll try with GNU lpr.

Thanks, Mat.

Last edited by Bra1n0v3rfl0w (2011-05-10 13:06:34)

#2 2011-03-28 21:33:12

lagagnon
Website

Re: [Give up...for now] Printing with lpr

For instance: "lpr -P Printer nameoffile.txt". ? Is that what you mean? You substitute "Printer" for the actual defined name of your CUPS printer. I think it also works from GUI apps such as LibreOffice if you ask that app to "print to file".

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2011-03-29 01:44:12

skottish
Forum Fellow

You may want to look into enscript.

#4 2011-03-29 08:01:23

Bra1n0v3rfl0w

Hi thanks for reply,

@ lagagnon

Exactely: on FreeBSD I do lpr -p printer filename, but on Arch I didn't found lpd and lpr, there is lp but I didn't found how to set it up correctly. The only way I found is to use CUPS and apple lpr (which is installed with CUPS), but I would like to advoid installing CUPS if possible.

@ skottish

I just looked at enscript home page but seems it don't support PPD. I read it only briefly (I'm at work on another machine).

This evening I'll study it better, and if I found the solution I'll post it.

Thanks again, Mat.

#5 2011-03-30 01:14:43

skottish
Forum Fellow

Bra1n0v3rfl0w wrote:

@ skottish

I just looked at enscript home page but seems it don't support PPD. I read it only briefly (I'm at work on another machine).

This evening I'll study it better, and if I found the solution I'll post it.

Thanks again, Mat.

Gads! I wasn't thinking about the fact that I have CUPS installed when I posted about this (gutenprint + Epson = happy photo printing). I was only considering how great enscript is from printing out of terminal apps.

#6 2011-03-30 09:14:54

Bra1n0v3rfl0w

Hi,

I did a better research, and I found that in AUR there is LPRng: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=21931.
The homepage is at: http://www.lprng.com/.

If you extract the source of latest version, in doc folder you will find a really complete and updated handbook (300 pages!).

If you browse the ftp you will find also ifhp which is a filter, and extracting it, in doc folder you will find the latest ifhp handbook (100 pages).

I really don't understand why it is in AUR and not in [extra], cause it reflects the Arch way.

I think it will be my choice. Now I have to study it, and when done i'll post my results.

Thanks, Mat

Board footer