You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-08 23:46:40

Patrick Boyle

Viewing pacman install log

I'm interested in seeing exactly what files are added/changed when pacman installs a package. Is this possible? For example, I'm trying to understand how Xorg knows to use a particular display driver that I've installed without any explicit config file that tells it to do so. I feel that if I could see how the display driver is installed, it would give some insight.

Thanks for any help.

#2 2011-04-09 00:07:57

my0pic

Re: Viewing pacman install log

Log files are kept in /var/log. You'll find log files for pacman and Xorg there.
Add your user to the log group to avoid having to use admin privileges to view the log files.
To list files installed by a package

pacman -Ql <pkgname>

#3 2011-04-09 00:08:21

ewaller
Administrator

pacman -Ql <packageName>

Edit: Rats -- snaked again

Last edited by ewaller (2011-04-09 00:13:40)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2011-04-09 00:12:32

ewaller
Administrator

Also, If you install abs, you can pull in the PKGBUILDs for the entire Arch tree.  For an interesting study, copy the directory of interest from the abs directory to a working directory of your choice.  Enter that directory and do a makepkg just as you would for something from AUR.  When it finishes, the pkg directory contains an entire tree that would be installed in the file system if you were to perform a pacman -U

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2011-04-09 01:10:37

Patrick Boyle

Perfect, thanks!

Board footer