You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-05 01:11:58

DWilliams

I use ALSA but need to use a program that only supports OSS

Specifically, TeamSpeak2

It is very antiquated and as far as I can tell it will only support OSS with /dev/dsp. I read the OSS wiki and the first steps seem to make it clear that ALSA and OSS won't peacefully co-exist. Is there any simple way to get this working? I only need the sound output, not worried about mic input for now.

#2 2011-04-05 01:31:46

Splex

Re: I use ALSA but need to use a program that only supports OSS

Make sure oss-emulation is installed:

pacman -S alsa-oss

#3 2011-04-07 02:18:08

DWilliams

Hmm that works somewhat. I can get TS2 running with that but if it's running then it's the only program that can be outputting sound, and only if I start it up before any other programs.

Is there any way to make it not "hog" the sound output?

#4 2011-04-07 02:33:04

Splex

You need to enable dmix to have alsa mix the multiple outputs together.
IIRC, alsa will supposively enable dmix by default for cards that don't support hardware mixing..  if you have a /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc it may be causing ALSA to stray from the default...
if that isn't the case, you can manually enable dmix by creating/editing the /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc to something like this:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/Dmix#6._The_com … ameters.29

#5 2011-04-09 23:24:07

DWilliams

Splex wrote:

You need to enable dmix to have alsa mix the multiple outputs together.
IIRC, alsa will supposively enable dmix by default for cards that don't support hardware mixing..  if you have a /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc it may be causing ALSA to stray from the default...
if that isn't the case, you can manually enable dmix by creating/editing the /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc to something like this:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/Dmix#6._The_com … ameters.29

I put that in ~/.asoundrc and it didn't seem to work. Additionally, with that in my .asoundrc, alsamixer refuses to start and gives me a bunch of errors about invalid configuration.

#6 2011-04-09 23:42:14

Gusar

dmix is on by default, has been for a long time now, trying to set it up manually is just more likely to screw things up. Just using alsa-oss should be enough. Though I vaguely recall reading a long time ago that alsa-oss and TeamSpeak don't play along well together.

There's one other thing you can try - ossp

#7 2011-04-10 00:12:54

lagagnon
Website

DWilliams wrote:

SIt is very antiquated and as far as I can tell it will only support OSS with /dev/dsp. I read the OSS wiki and the first steps seem to make it clear that ALSA and OSS won't peacefully co-exist. Is there any simple way to get this working.

I use PSK31 (a digital amateur radio mode) under one of my machines running Ubuntu. Same problem - it requires /dev/dsp. I use the command "padsp nameofapplication" and it run fine. That requires installing Pulse Audio in Arch. See the wiki. Maybe the solution above is easier?

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

Board footer