You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-11 04:45:06

vankirk88

openbox noob question on menus.

I really do apologize about this insanely noob question but this is driving me up a wall.
I've read several several different resources on openbox (particularly trying to find information on the root menu)
i'm either looking in the wrong place - or I totally saw it and didn't put 2 and 2 together. *shrugs*

so, here is the dealio -

I'm trying to edit the root menu (or as I like to call it right clicky drop down thingy)
I'm running LXDE and from everything I've gathered over the last couple of days trying to tackle this
with lxde you edit the lxde-rc.xml instead of the menu or rc.xml

although after reading through it a plethora of times I noticed that it pulls off of the menu.xml as well...

*basically*

Which file do I actually edit to add stuff to the root menu?
and i've seen dozens of actual templates for editing the menu.xml and lxde-rc.xml but whenever *I* try to follow that I get a syntax error on openbox --reconfigure

and insight or even a swift kick in the ass that will land me on a site that has info that actually works would be ever so appreciated smile (even if its a search term - I think my problem now is that i've spent so much time looking for this one thing that I might actually be insanely over complicating this and not picking out the right information sad  )

#2 2011-04-11 04:57:44

stlarch

Re: openbox noob question on menus.

An easy way is to install obmenu

#3 2011-04-11 05:03:59

JackH79
Website

Have you read this here as well?

#4 2011-04-11 05:17:10

vankirk88

stlarch wrote:

An easy way is to install obmenu

I can agree with that even though I'm not sure how to use that program very well. I'd rather learn how to manually edit the stuff, and not have to rely on another program tongue
the main reason I got away from ubuntu was to be semi/forced to learn everything.

JackH79 wrote:

Have you read this here as well?

I did glance at that but didn't think that was referring to the root menus...I can decifer through the xml those menu files to some extent...the stuff on freedesktop is straight crypic to me atm...but at least now I know I need to take a much closer look hehe.

Board footer