You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-18 17:21:36

mundane
Banned

Raid controller

I'm just about to purchase a new motherboard with an intel raid controller. I was just wandering how this works with Linux. I intend to set up encryption and LVM.... if I set the BIOS to run RAID 0, will this be invisible to Linux?

I have read that GRUB cannot boot from raid 0 when using software RAID, but is the same applicable to hardware RAID?

#2 2011-04-18 19:47:32

OrionFyre

Re: Raid controller

I, in my limited expertise, would suggest going the linux software raid route for portability and robustness as all my experience with so-called "fake-raid" chips on motherboards has been nothing but trouble. Before I began my "I will not fix your windows machine" crusade I had four of those raids fail for various reasons. One of them I couldn't find a replacement motherboard or add-on card with the same chipset, two of them went corrupt (I blame windows somehow), and the fourth wouldn't get recognised even by an identical motherboard (same revision).

since linux raid can use any block device use two drives, sda and sdb. create identical small partitions on each. one for /boot and one unused. a second partition on each drive using the remainder of the space. and use those partition block devices (sda2 and sdb2) to build the array for root. (i presume this would work)

The benefit being that the array would survive motherboard or chipset changes/upgrades.

#3 2011-04-18 20:10:44

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Raid controller

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fakeraid

But unless you are going to dualboot with windows on the array, use software raid instead,

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer