You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-27 05:26:08

vikrang

[SOLVED] Network Manager confusion on reading WiKi

I have installed KDE DE...I am unable to start the network through NM...

On going thru Arch Wiki , https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager

I understand that there are 2 NMs available..One is for GNOME but works in all DE (backend), Other is "Knetworkmanager" which is for KDE.(backend)...

The frontend GUI is Gnome- applet and KDEplasme-applet

It is stated under KDE 3.5 , that Knetworkmanager is not supported but available in AUR...

My doubt is as follows

1. What should I install for KDE backend? --- Gnome Networkmanager or Knetworkmanager (Is the version for 4.4 & above supported?, wiki is silent on this)?
2. For Frontend should I install the Plasma widget or the GNOME applet?
3. If backend is GNOME network manager will it work with KDE plasma widget (front end) ?
4. In /etc/rc.conf , in "DAEMONS = " should I give "knetworkmanager" or "networkmanager" If I install the KDE version?

I had installed WIcd to test my settings...It was working initially after typing

modprobe b43   <for bcm chipset>
/etc/rc.d/network start
/etc/rc.d/dbus restart
/etc/rc.d/wicd start
ifconfig wlan0 up
dhcpcd wlan0
wicd-curses

Then I typed the network pwd and booted my interface.

i wanted to go in for network manager as it would save me the typing time..(Currently I installed pacman -S networkmanager (GNOME version) and KDE plasma "the one with the icon similar to "m")But on selecting the interface it goes thru Activating Interface and then says "Network Connection failed"

Now I am also not able to get wicd up

Any pointers?

EDIT ---The title says Graphical Front end managers, So I guess there is only one backend....In that case , why is my Network not working??All the wireless are detected ,so there is no problem with firmware....I have also enabled dhcpc (automatic)...So it shld fetch an IP address....dunno what the problem is..

Last edited by vikrang (2011-04-29 10:11:02)

#2 2011-04-27 08:56:28

JokerBoy

Re: [SOLVED] Network Manager confusion on reading WiKi

vikrang wrote:

1. What should I install for KDE backend? --- Gnome Networkmanager or Knetworkmanager (Is the version for 4.4 & above supported?, wiki is silent on this)?
2. For Frontend should I install the Plasma widget or the GNOME applet?
3. If backend is GNOME network manager will it work with KDE plasma widget (front end) ?
4. In /etc/rc.conf , in "DAEMONS = " should I give "knetworkmanager" or "networkmanager" If I install the KDE version?

1. there is just one, networkmanager. network-manager-applet and kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement are just front-ends to networkmanager.
2. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … nager#KDE4 , but https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … ager#GNOME will work too. I use network-manager-applet on KDE 'cause the KDE front-end can't set a system connection.
3. I won't even bother to answer to this.
4. networkmanager!!!

vikrang wrote:

I have also enabled dhcpc (automatic)...So it shld fetch an IP address....dunno what the problem is..

if you are using networkmanager you must the networkmanager daemon, not network. replace network with networkmanager in rc.conf in DAEMONS array.

Last edited by JokerBoy (2011-04-27 08:59:42)

#3 2011-04-29 10:10:05

vikrang

Re: [SOLVED] Network Manager confusion on reading WiKi

[SOLVED]   Thanks ...It got working....

Board footer