You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-30 12:09:21

yeah, whatever

screwed up ~/.xinitrc - what to do?

hello everyone!
after a couple of trys i managed to install arch inside vmware player on windows xp
unfortunately i can't get past slim (it's set up to start as the last demon) because i think i screwed up the ~/.xinitrc

so i wanted to boot from cd and reconfigure said fail
unfortunately i don't know how to access it
i mounted the (virtual) hdd via # mount/sdaN...but i'm not able to find it
it would be really nice if someone could point me out what to do

btw: as i said, i had to install arch, mostly because of xorg - it is really giving me a hard time-, a couple of times....xinitrc was never created by default...why not?
i always hat do copy it from /etc/skel/
the last time /etc/skel even was empty and i had to write xinitrc myself (and apparently screwed it up)
any hint on what went wrong?

thank you very much for your input

on a side note:
date -u +%W$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'
seriously? i screw up my arch install, look for help, and end up with this question?
windows users really aren't welcome here - i hope that i will get some help nevertheless~

#2 2011-04-30 12:12:07

d00maz

Re: screwed up ~/.xinitrc - what to do?

my previous installations never created .xinitrc at ~/ so i just

touch ~/.xinitrc 

#3 2011-04-30 12:23:03

JokerBoy

yeah, whatever wrote:

btw: as i said, i had to install arch, mostly because of xorg - it is really giving me a hard time-, a couple of times....xinitrc was never created by default...why not?
i always hat do copy it from /etc/skel/
the last time /etc/skel even was empty and i had to write xinitrc myself (and apparently screwed it up)
any hint on what went wrong?

that's because you installed xorg after you added your user, I guess.
and there's no need for .xinitrc to be in $HOME, you can put it anywhere you like it ($XDG_CONFIG_HOME/xorg/xinirc is where I put it). just make sure you configure /etc/slim.conf to point to it.

and there's no need to use a cd anymore if your installation boots ok, just use CTRL+ALT+F1..F8 to switch ttys.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLiM

#4 2011-04-30 12:32:38

yeah, whatever

@d00maz
thanks, i know about that command...i used # nano ~/.xinitrc instead...

@JokerBoy
1. yes, i added the user before installing xorg...anyway, if i'm logged in as root, ~/.xinitrc should exist, right?
2. i read that article, unfortunately i can't switch ttys...i think this is because ctrl+alt is reserved by vmware...it takes the focus off of the loaded vm...
btw: i didn't change anything inside /etc/slim.conf...does it point to ~/.xinitrc by default?

#5 2011-04-30 12:50:47

JokerBoy

1. no, it shouldn't.
2. I don't use vmware, but in virtualbox you can switch with right ctrl+F1..F8.
3. yes,

login_cmd           exec /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session

search how to switch ttys while using vmware, and look into /var/log/slim.log too.

PS: I don't use slim, I prefer startx.

#6 2011-04-30 13:25:19

yeah, whatever

1. ok, well then..
2. i managed to change tty and looked at ~/.xinitrc as well as at /etc/slim.conf
they both were okay
i then download xfce4, changed the entry in ~/.xinitrc from lxde to xfce4 and everythings working as intended...maybe i messed something up with the lxde install...
anyway, thanks for pointing out to look for how to change ttys in vmware, i haven't thought about that

so, i guess the problem is solved (thanks again!)...but i'd still like to know how to acces files when i boot from cd...

#7 2011-04-30 13:30:43

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Well, once you manage to boot the CD, just mount your partitions and away you go.

Regarding virtual consoles and VMware, first result from Google ( http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/fea … l_Consoles ) says this,

For example, while at the X-Server console (tty7), normally to switch to the tty2 virtual console, just use the keystroke: Ctrl+Alt+F2. To make this work within VMware, add the Shift key to the keystroke: Shift+Ctrl+Alt+F2.

Once you switch to any of the text based virtual consoles, to switch among them or back to the GUI simply use Alt+F<tty_number>. For example, to go back to the GUI use Alt+F7.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#8 2011-04-30 13:40:33

yeah, whatever

well, as i said, i know now how to switch ttys, but thanks

and i also know how to mount a drive, unfortunately i was'nt able to navigate to/find ~/.xinitrc

edit: wow, that's funny...i'm able to start xfce4 via slim at start up, but i'm not able to do the same with lxde
but it works with $ xinit /usr/bin/ck-launch-session startlxde
whatever...

Last edited by yeah, whatever (2011-04-30 13:42:42)

Board footer